Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 13, 2024, 05:13:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Primary school  (Read 22049 times)
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 08:58:59 PM »

This is the point which I wanted to bring up. However I hold back.

Edgefield, the teachers and principal are very hardworking and humble. They answered my e-mails within 2 days. They are willing to co-operate with other agencies.  Nan Chiau is a hot sch. They answered my e-mails within 5 days.

This sch we are talking about leh....2 yrs ago e-mails until now no reply. Leave a message 2 yrs ago also until now no reply. They are very proud doesn't want to have any other agencies to co-operate with the school.

Advertisement

Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 09:02:54 PM »

Die Die want to enter Phase 2B in Mee Toh. Suggestions:

1. Call the sch which temple they are associated with.
2. Visit the temple and see the monk in charge.
3. Thick skin enough, ask the monk 'can you give me a letter of recommendation to enter Mee Toh'
4. Thick skin again, ask them is $500 donation enough?
5. Kia Su a bit, ask them to give the letter of recommendation immediately as you present yr cheque.

Guaranteed Phase 2B
crystal

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 11:29:19 PM »

my girl is going to P1 next yr, is mee toh a good school?
My house is only 5 mins walk away from Mee Toh but I chose Edgefield Pri for my son. I've never heard of Mee Toh before I came to Punggol and yes, heard about the small enrolment in the old school at Race Course Rd too.
I made enquiries about the Edgefield and the Principal, Mrs Sabrina James, answered my email and brought me around the school personally. She's an excellent principal, I know the VP too, though I do not know the teachers there. I like the school culture and the programmes they have to make learning fun, eg International Day where each class will represent a country, made flags, food tasting or little souvenirs for the pupils who visited the "country", Principal Challenge where interest questions such as " Why is the sky blue? or Name the English word that ends with mt" will be posted and any pupil from any level may answer.
I also know that the school overall percentage pass is rather high but they are trying to get more A's , thus, the emphasis on the academics too. Maybe that's why P1 pupils have to take exams.
My eldest daughter is in PLMGPS in Lor Ah Soo - 10 mins drive without congestion but 1hr by school bus. After her experience, we decided that a school nearby is more important than getting into the top few schools. Honestly, if the child is not academically inclined, going into a good school is very stressful for both the parents and child. However, if the child has good, solid foundation, any primary school will do.

how is PLMGS? i am planning to register my girl in this year.. can share more about yoru view on this?
punggolow

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 03:53:26 AM »

I like PLMGPS, that's why send my eldest there. Got in thru church affiliation, phase 2B, no need to ballot.

What I don't like about the sch:
1 Traffic congestion before sch begins
2 Security guard very rigid (good and bad) and sch attendants very fierce (but realised every sch is the same, not refine due to education level, but just doing their job)
3 School bus journey rather long. Got to eat lunch at 10.30am, cos bus comes at 11.15am. Reach home at 7.20pm for pm session - poor child.
4 Still an estate sch - all sorts of pupils attend the school. Some can be mean and unkind. Every sch will also have such pupils.

What I like aboout PLMGPS:
1 Good school culture, emphasize on character building too. Mission school, so have chapel and all.
2 English language standard rather high. Simple test will be how the teacher pronounce Wednesday. (wenzday and not wed-nes-day) My son's teacher said to "pass up" work. I had to correct him many times that it should be "hand in" but he insisted that teacher is correct.
3 Principal is a very nice lady - she is in touch with what's going on and keeps parents informed thru circular regularly, eg - reminded parents not to confront kid's classmates regarding disagreement because it is very intimidating for an adult to confront a child. Also reminded parents not to be traffic queue cutters in the morning - I was guity of that, so repented after that circular.
4 No exams for P1 - does take away some stress level.
5 Sch arranged for bus company to have additional buses to bring pupils home after CCA or extra classes, bus leaves at 4.00pm and pupil needs to pay $2 each time. (transport headache taken care of)
6 Some interesting programmes like pajamas night where P1 girls and form teachers changed to pajamas (with a stuffed toy or security blanket) to have some reading in the hall or have an author to talk about reading and writing to cultivate the love for reading. P2 have Royal tea party, I think. Girls dress up as princesses or as fairy tale characters and have a tea party in the hall

These are my personal view. Some parents feel that the sch is rather pushy when it comes to academic results, but I have not experienced that so far.

The school called up the parents of those who registered last year under phase 2C, but more than 1km away. Suggested that the parents withdraw the application (since no chance of getting in) and apply for other schools so as to secure a place in another sch.  I do not know of any school that will bother to do that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: