Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 02, 2024, 04:48:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P1-Mee Toh NO HOMEWORK ( a waste of time) choose other school  (Read 58455 times)
Miracle

お宅

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:17 AM »

If both parents are working and kids are with grandparents etc, won't it be better if homework can be finished in school?

For me, I went thru a period during my lower secondary where I virtually had no homework but school hours were extended to compensate. However, I found that the quality of life (yes I know, only developed countries talk about this) was so much better. After school, we most of us could stay to play soccer etc w/o worrying about not getting homework done.

So what if there are homework to be done? Do everyone do it at all?

Advertisement

da

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »

He got hit in the eye by his classmate (using a water bottle) on Day 1 of school & I was told by the principal that its a "small matter" & its a norm that children fight. 

No medication was administered by the form teacher. He was crying alone at the back of the queue waiting to be dismissed. When I questioned the teacher what happened to my son, she just told me off abruptly to bring my crying son home. "Are you his mum? can you bring him home now? he can't stopped crying." These were the exact words that she used when I asked her what happened to my son. (The incident happened while they were queuing up for dismissal)

i think the principal gave you a straight forward and frank answer.

i wouldn't want teachers to give or apply medication to my children, except for first aid for emergencies such as heart attack or choking. teachers are not doctors. what would be appropriate is to call up the parents if the child is sick or injured, or for serious injuries, to send to clinic or hospital.

my very young child got into a "fight" with someone bigger, and i think double the age, and lost and ended up crying. i said i will teach you to fight, then you can fight back better next time round.

devil's advocate
Mrs Piggy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:09 PM »

I think now a day kids have a few tuition or enrichment courses to attend. They should be quite stress. I disagree with the idea of school giving too much HW. As for me, I have bought assessments for my son to do as his daily routine. My son didn't attend any courses. To me teachers can help my son in some ways, but mostly is depend on we parents and the child. Homework might help those in higher primary but don't think it works for younger ones. There was once my son got hurt accidentally by his classmate. The principle help my son to clean up and bandage while waiting for me to bring him to see the doctor. After that the teacher-in-charge also call to check how is my son. I think they are caring and responsible. When my son was in P1, he was also very scare to go to school as there was a boy who like to bully him. As the boy doesn't do any harmful action, I didn't complaint to the teacher. We can't prevent all those little upset that they will went through during their childhood, they have to learn how to protect themselves even in school. We parents should know as we also went through that stage. Now the children are mostly active, they can't be just staying indoor and do the homework. Sometime I feel sorry for my son too. When come to study, he need to be pushed. So I am the bad person at home not his dad.
brightstar

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »

That reminds me when i was a kid, i also kenna punch by one of my classmates. It was so painful that i cry. Teachers at that time were fierce and not so caring. So i went back home and told my parents. They taught me to punch back if she did it again. And i did! And that fellow leave me alone after that.

So i guess it is part of growing up. Will let my kid to learn self defense before she goes into primary school.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: