Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 17, 2024, 04:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P1-Mee Toh NO HOMEWORK ( a waste of time) choose other school  (Read 58567 times)
gladster

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 05:34:17 AM »

Hi,

Just my few cents of thoughts.

During my primary and secondary school days, workload was relatively light even though my secondary school was one of the better schools. Comparatively, I could only remember doing tutorials after tutorials during my JCs. Ironically, I worked harder and did much better during my O'levels. Come my A'levels, the drive was diminished. My drive only came back during my 3rd and 4th year in my uni days.

This led me to wonder whether too much homework will exhaust children too quickly , too early and kill off their passion for learning. I have heard that people who succeed later in life are usually those average students with a good attitude. Closer to me, I have also seen school mates who were average during their younger days but did so much better than the rest later.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:36:47 AM by gladster » Logged

Advertisement

hjkl

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »

Hi KC,

I just registered my son in Edgefield too partially because I didnt want to go through the hassle of balloting at Mee Toh.  But before making the final decision, I asked around about Edgefield Pri.

According to my neighbour whose son is studying in P1 this year, they are adopting a English programme from MOE that emphasizes on acquiring language skills through activity-based approach and reading "big books". There seems to be lots of interaction and group work. I thought that was interesting. That will provide a good cross over for my son who is in a activity-based kindergarten. The only drawback is that they have no english textbook. You know, us 'kiasu' parents want to know what they learn in school. According to my neighbour, the child brings worksheets home to do as homework once in a while. I thought that might be good as I can help my child to revise. But according to her, homework are only one or two sheets that requires only half an hour to complete.

The other reason is that I prefer my child to grow up in a multiracial environment. He has to learn to make friends with children from other races. That will make him a more embracing person.
eyeo

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 04:08:52 AM »

hi any comments on all boys / girls school?
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »

At primary 3, students went for GEP tests in August. It is an option whether want to take part or not.

Number of students who qualified for 2nd round on 16 & 17 Oct to be tested in Punggol Primary School (Hougang area) as follows:

Edgefield primary school - 8 students (these students went by their own to Punggol Primary School)
Rivervale Primary school - 15 students ( the school hired a 19-seater bus)
Nan Chiau -                    abt 30-40 students (the school hired a bus equivalent to Punggol Plaza shuttle bus)
Holy Innocents                abt 30-40 students (the school hired a similar bus as Nan Chiau)

Nor surprising, schools such as RGS, Rosyth, St. Hildas, etc can produce 3 load of 40-seater buses each.

should understand why some parents die-die, pull of sort of strings, fork-out a lot of donation money, to get their children the top schools. Eventually, whether the child can study or not, it is not up to outsiders to judge. Because outsiders don't even know their family background. Let's face it, competitions are very fierce out there.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: