Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 04, 2024, 05:12:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cord blood  (Read 10657 times)
kool

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »

i came across cord blood banking in motherhood exhibition , and thinking now to sign up for it or not , wud like to get some advice on it .

has any1 signed up for it ?
wht normally ppl do with the cord blood?
how many cord blood banks r there in singapore ?
which one to choose and why ?

Advertisement

cajohoney

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 01:22:21 AM »

I signed the free one at KKH when I delivered my number 2. The cord blood is donated to Singapore corblood bank and you do not have exclusive use of it. It's the nation's property. I did some research before I decide to donate instead of putting with a private bank.

1. It's free. Private CBB is very, very pricey.
2. One's cordblood need not necessarily match the family members' though the match from one's own bloodline has a higher possibility of being a suitable match.
3. Your cordblood may lack beneficial and required genetic material, if need arises *touchwood*. When this happens, the doctors will still go to national cordblood banks or private cordblood banks to look for suitable match.

The advantage of putting in private cordblood bank is that you have exclusive access to it. If others need it, they have to ask your permission. They don't do that for the public CBB.

Just some of my opinion after some research and speaking to some prediatricians. 

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed.
H2OSeekers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 02:11:56 AM »

Planning to have that done for my no. 2. Quoted $840 for subscription and $250 every year after the 2nd year (Different Hospital, different rates). Cajohoney has a point, nothing beats not coming out a single cent. But my worry is, there is not a lot of cord blood that is AB+ type. Also not being exclusively yours, would mean that your baby's sample can be used by anyone and everyone. Meaning if the need arises, the possibility of using someone else's cord blood, because your sample might have been depleted from the use by research or others.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:14:12 AM by H2OSeekers » Logged
nor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »

I did come accross these cord blood banking. I was told that it would cost me $1000. By the way the doctor says it i got it all confuse. I think there are 3 option given.
1) save the cord blood for my family future need only
2) save the cord blood for everyone to use (public use)
3) to throw it away.

Last time we malay usually burried the whole placenta and the cord in earth etc...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: