Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 30, 2024, 07:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Save the Punggol End Grassland?  (Read 7083 times)
ziedrich

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »

Hello everyone,

I'm yikang from NUS, we are doing a tourism module and as a project we are proposing a development plan to preserve Punggol End.

I actually live in Jurong East but the rest of my 4 group mates stay in Hougang / Punggol area. Went to visit the site today, and was "blown away". Personally, I am someone who is very interested in nature. Although the grassland at Punggol End is actually reclaimed, nevertheless the ecological succession from reclaimed soil is related to nature. There are lots of interesting grassland plants including a beautiful lalang landscape.

Unlike many other parts of Singapore, the vegetation is chaotic and wild, a landscape that is so open and different from the typical concrete jungle. Moreover, during the short visit (of a couple of hours) i saw quite a few species of birds that i seldom see in other parts of singapore. Surely this site is a precious site in terms of wild life. Where else can we see such an open grassland ecosystem in Singapore? I think there are few other places.

Unfortunately, such an open piece of waterfront land is a juicy bait for development, and we think losing this beautiful tranquility would be an immense pity Sad Anyone else thinks so?

For our project we are planning to "build" minimal resorts, about 20 WIDELY scattered huts around the grassland, arranged in a way to minimize environmental damage. the huts would include 5 wooden, 5 bamboo ones, 5 possibly treehouses, and 5 cottages.

Additional highlights would be minimal, and include a modest little bird watching tower where people can go to listen to birds singing, with charts of punggol birds. There will also be a hut for masseuse services. Plus kite-flying facilities, and a fishing pond somewhere more inland. Some other parts will contain about 10-12 huts selling food, and somewhere out into the sea a kelong will be built for a kelong fine dining experience.

In summary, we plan to minimize changes to the environment and maintain a very rustic feel.

This is in contrast to the URA's proposed plans to build houses all over the area and wiping off the grassland. Development is inevitable, and our plan is to preserve the nice piece of nature and also people's memories. Moreover, i believe many other people staying in the west side will be pleasantly amazed to find such an open grassland in Singapore. A small scale tourism can economically sustain the area, while maintaining the rustic charm.

Note this is just an academic project. However our lecturer has links to the STB and also our projects will be reviewed by STB staff.

Any comments on this? We are wondering if the residents would really like to keep the grassland at Punggol end. Also wondering if there will be problems. Residents' feedbacks will be most welcome, if u feel our proposal is damn screwed up in anyway, u're most welcome to criticize!  Smiley

Advertisement

Fire76

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »

Interesting Project..  Grin Grin
Looking at your proposal, it seems like similar to Desaru which i find is better than another Downtown East in Punggol.  thumbs up thumbs up
koko51sg

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:05 AM »

Punggol in my farthest memories is a rustic, carefree, fun and adventure place.  We used to watch movies, watch birds, pigs, chickens and even catch fishes.   We cycle alot to various parts of the place or walk.  There were many shortcuts to the neighbour houses.  If you could recapture this kind of mood that will be a selling point.

So, I like your idea of bird watching tower and charts of birds and kelong.  Make it a heritage place with educational value for children, adults and tourists. 

We need more open space, freedom and carefree life on this part of island - that should  be the theme here.
Edelweiss

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »

Yes, I second your proposal to preserve the wildlife in Punggol but I'm not too sure about the idea of making it a tourist attraction and all the works that come with it, though you've emphasized that the natural environment will be preserved.  I'd much prefer it to be another Sungei Buloh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: