Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 27, 2024, 09:02:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why build petrol station near block of flats?  (Read 97165 times)
mrmoon

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2007, 04:56:57 AM »

The letter to ST Forum by Chan Ching Hwee was published on 2 Jun 2007. Extracts below:

---------------

According to the report "Oil firms winding up petrol stations at the base of the buildings" (ST, May 3), the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) has a new regulation that all new petrol stations have to be at least 100m away from residential buildings and 50m from commerical premises.

It was also reported that the rule was not retrospective because it would have affected many of the 200 petrol kiosks here.

However, I would like HDB and SCDF to clarify why petrol stations are still being built in violation of the proximity rule.

I live in a Punggol block of flats that is near to one of these petrol-station sites. Construction started on Wednesday and workers have been setting up containers and fences. Having a petrol station only 10m to 20m away from my block is too dangerous.

I wrote to HDB to express my safety concerns. The reply was that the site was earmarked for a petrol station before residents bought their flats.

I understand the HDB planning and tender process. But the point is that if having a petrol station within 20m of a residential area is dangerous, why allow it to be built, even though it had been planned, approved and tendered out? In fact, the petrol-station site was tendered to Singapore Petroleum Company (SPC) in February.

There is no reason for SCDF to impose the 100m/50m rule is it is not acute. It must have valid reasons to set regulations like these. But why does the rule apply to petrol stations that had not yet been planned?

In April, a burning petrol tanker in San Francisco case the Bay Bridge to collapse. Flames reached a height equivalent to about 20 HDB storeys.

Can HDB stop the building of the petrol station near my block, or at least move it farther away? Can't HDB offer SPC an alternative site in Punggol which has not yet been developed?

Advertisement

mrmoon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 05:07:55 AM »

I think the forumer could be staying at block 192 or 193.

Block 193 is directly facing the new petrol kiosk. I also think the petrol kiosk is really too close to the flats and might pose safety and pollution issues to residents staying at low level of block 193. Having a petrol kiosk at the edge of the road where drivers turn from Punggol Central road into Edgefield Plains is also a bad idea as the proposed exit from the petrol kiosk is to Edgefield Plains. This small road along Edgefield Plains may become more congested and post a road hazard to the students at Edgefield Primary School. Can't understand why the petrol kiosk is planned at this site? Not very convenient, there are much better sites in Punggol.

Americano

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 08:43:38 AM »

I think her concern is very valid. If I am her, I would be worried too. How would I set a family in such an environment? I would be constantly worried about my children. Its irresponsible of HDB to response to the public in such manner. Sigh 
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:17:32 AM »

they have already fence up that area. Really very very close especially to blk 193.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: