Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 18, 2024, 05:24:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parents with primary school kids  (Read 15131 times)
FamilyAlpha

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »

Anyone with Kids in P1 this year in Mee Toh, can please advise how the school function, ie. homework load, assessments/exams, expection of P1 students and any info provided will be great.  My son will be in P1 next year and wanna know what to expect and be prepared of what's to expect.  Thanks.

Advertisement

fsng0156

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:38:45 AM »

Hi,  My son (P1) and my daughter (P3) @Mee Toh School. They're in P1-4 and P3-8. Maybe they know some of your kids.  I would like to know parents of Mee Toh School too.
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:43:40 AM »

SINGAPORE: The results of the 2007 Primary School Leaving Examination (PLSE) will be released on Thursday, 22 November.

The Education Ministry says pupils may obtain their result slips from their respective schools from 12pm that day. - CNA/ir
SQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 06:20:36 AM »

Hi everyone,

I just found out this Punggol forum and really excited about it. Why? Not sure, but as I read the messages posted, I was very eager to reply and comment but I can't reply to all that I wished I could. Nevertheless, I would like to comment on homework...

Some schools give homework, some schools don't. And I believe many of you are wondering why the difference? We want out kids to be kept busy, and yet we don't want to appear too kiasu... We're also in a dilemma. Actually, if you read up the research behind homework, you will find that there is weak correlation between homework and grades. In fact, the ones who are not competent and needed the extra work didn't get much benefit from doing homework. The better ones are already doing very well and they don't need it. Also, homework adds on to the frustration between the parents and the kids. The first question most parents ask when they meet their kids after work is : Have you done your homework? Kids dread it, parents push it and the relationship is strained. Don't just hear it from me, check out Alfie Kohn's book on the Homework Myth and read it up on your own. Make your stand and see if homework does help your child or not.

Many schools are experimenting and pushing for no homework, especially in the lower primary. That's because research shows that the younger the children are, the weaker teh correlation between homeowrk and achievement. However, the idea may not sell well with parents, especially those of us who came from a background where our teachers used to issue tons of work and we worked through them like crazy. Our kids are of a different generation and they learn differently. They definitely do not need the same training as us. In fact, they need skills and knowledge that will equip them 20 years down the road when they go out to work, and we, as parents may not have that expertise to lend them a helping hand.

I am currently a primary school teacher, and I teach in one of the government schools. I used to teach the gifted children. For both groups of children, homework was a waste of time for them. Needless to say, you can figure out why. My take is that let our kids learn in other ways. Doing a small project at home, experiment with colours, with taste, explore their environment, I believe parents can come up with tons of ideas for your kids. Pick up what your kids say interest them, capitalize on their curiosity. Our kids can still be kept busy and meaningfully.

I am for schools with a NO-HOMEWORK policy. But for parents who think otherwise, Popular Bookshops have tons of worksheets for your ready use. So why push the teachers to design worksheets which your kids hate? Why not let the teachers spend more time designing lessons that your kids will be interested in and be meaningfully engaged?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: