Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 17, 2024, 07:25:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayspring kindergarten  (Read 14814 times)
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 12:23:40 AM »

Not sure this year whether change syllabus may be have a lot of feedback from parents.

Last year, my friend had hard time to teach English including spelling on her K2 son. She told me PAP has no spelling in Chinese and English at all. That surprise me too.....PAP Blk 105D

Advertisement

vinz

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 02:39:41 AM »

Speaking from someone who has been in the preschool industry for many years, it's not true all PAP kindys have no spelling. Each PAP kindergarten is run differently, depending on the principal / management committee of the estate.  So that's why the standard in every PAP kindy differs from zone to zone.  Although there is the PAP headquarters to ensure the PAP kindys adhere to certain guidelines, what is done at the micro level is usually beyond the control of the HQ. 

That goes the same for private kindys because there is no national curriculum for preschools in Singapore.  What MOE has is just a framework or guidelines for preschool education and this framework / guidelines are interpreted very differently from kindergarten to kindergarten.  Often times, the kindys have to worry more about bread and butter issues such as increasing their enrolment (no enrolment; no income for their staff) and this often translates into pleasing parents (meaning more worksheets and more spelling because this is what the majority of the parents want) rather than adhering to some framework which is not going to pay their teachers' salaries.

Agreed with you.....But since PAP aka PCF as a whole should standardise the teaching programs and fees. FYI school fees is quite a big difference among different estates which can be range from $80-$130.  Huh?
That is maybe the reason why nowadays parents prefer to send their kids to pte schools instead of PAP as they learn more things .
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 02:42:54 AM »

PAP don't learn single thing meh?

So miserable?
Edelweiss

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 07:57:32 AM »

I've done quite a fair bit of reading on the types of preschool education (I have to as I'm taking a Master course in Early Childhood Education) that benefit children and research has consistently shown that a good quality preschool (meaning those that emphasize children as autonomous learners, rather than those that focus narrowly on skills as such letters and numbers) will benefit children from disadvantaged / lower income families more than those from middle / higher income families.  The rationale is this: Children from low income families are severely deprived of stimulation at home; so a high quality preschool would be able to make up for the lack of stimulation at home.

If you talk to your child, read to your child, play with your child at home and generally support his curiosity to learn, the type of preschools don't matter, really.  After all, the child spends 80% - 90% of her time at home and only 10%-20% of her time in preschools.  So, who has the greater influence in shaping his intellectual and social growth?  There is really no need to waste money on expensive preschools and enrichment programmes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: