Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 02, 2024, 10:23:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayspring kindergarten  (Read 14777 times)
punggolow

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 08:14:03 PM »

If you talk to your child, read to your child, play with your child at home and generally support his curiosity to learn, the type of preschools don't matter, really.  After all, the child spends 80% - 90% of her time at home and only 10%-20% of her time in preschools.  So, who has the greater influence in shaping his intellectual and social growth?  There is really no need to waste money on expensive preschools and enrichment programmes.
Totaly agree.
Quite agree. Muz be selective on enrichment programs. For me, music is the no 1 compulsory. Follow by abacus.
I beg to differ: my sis-in-law, a very qualified private piano teacher, who used to teach in
Yamaha, said tt the best time to learn piano is about 9 yrs old. Reason being by then, their fingers are long enough to stretch and reach the keys, can learn faster and sometimes even skip grades. All my friends did not follow this advice, all started early. My daughter only started learning piano this yr at P3, from her gu-gu of course. I'm waiting to see if her "theory" is correct. Having said tt, we have been exposing her to music since she was in my womb, simply because I enjoy listening to music, though my husband plays the bass guitar, guitars and drums, so called picked up on his own. We expose our kids to a wide range of music but sadly, not classical because hubby doesn't appreciate classical music.

I have explored Abacus but concluded tt it's just one of the way to learn Math, or mental Math but not compulsory.

I have a friend who send her boy to Dayspring since nursery day. He is now in K2.  From the little I know, Dayspring has a very academic oriented curriculum. She is happy with her boy in Dayspring and have pretty good comments about the school. 
If I am not wrong, children there start experiencing spelling way before they reach K2.  If you prefer the academic oriented stuffs for your child, I think this school would be the one you can consider.

A friend's son used to attend Dayspring and he was stressed by the spelling, since he's just not ready-can't read yet how to learn spelling? I told the mum to tell the sch to exempt him from spelling but how many parents are willing to do tt? Worry about self-esteem and all...

I think what you pay what you get lor ........

Pat's House, Eton House, etc.....expensive preschool. The materials that they are using. e.g Montessori materials. I can also invent myself on those materials like using sand paper, button and needle. You expect me to buy 1 big sheet of sand paper for my child to play with it? Or you expecting all of us to invest on $20,000 on Montensori Materials? we are staying in HDB leh.....

So preschool charging high, have reason mah........the quality you are getting.

I used to spend many hours late in the night to cut out the alphebets on sand paper, only to realise tt you could purchase them for about $10! These materials are easily available - only need to know where to get them.
I did not spend much money on pre-school education for my kids but I believe they have the best because I was teaching them myself. In general, they are about 2 grades ahead of their peers. I did spend some money on Chinese though, because I couldn't do a good job for that. So if you are able, I believe you are the best teacher for your kids. I know it is easier said than done - I have my fair share of struggles in this process, am still struggling, tt's why getting a maid - to help me with household chores so tt I can spend more quality time with my kids.

Advertisement

PowerPuffGirl

My Precious Love

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »

For music, I meant music appreciation. Not muz necessary picking up 1 instrument to learn. I think children muz be exposed to music. In a fast paced society like today, if they are not given an avenue to de-stress they will breakdown in time to come.

For abacus, I think its a fun way to pick up math. If they are able to excel in tis, they will have smaller problems in the later part of their sch lives.

IMO, children should be given a chance to pick up independence. I just sent son to half day cc. I am amazed at how the children are trained. Imitation is really a key thing in children. Monkey see monkey do. He came back learning lots of gd stuff. I am so proud of him.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: