Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 25, 2024, 08:08:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressed Marble or Homogeneous Tiles  (Read 14776 times)
Serene

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2006, 12:34:09 PM »

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between the above?

My friend has just bought a flat and a contractor insisted her to hack away what he said to be compressed marble saying that it is too "scratched" and no use polishing... is it true that polishing the " scratched compressed marble" doesn't work?

If it happens to be homogenous tile, will polishing work?

Thanks for any advice..

Advertisement

kochmeister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:16:07 AM »

Depending on how badly scratched the compressed marble flooring is. Slight scratches can usually be polished off. If it is badly scratched and deep then he's probably right.

Homogeneous tiles are durable, hardwearing, scratch and abrasion resistant. But  may not be re-polished. Check with a reliable source on this.

Do be careful though. Not sure what the actual condition of your flooring is like.

Wish I can help you more but tiles are not in my area of expertise.
Serene

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:40:25 AM »

Depending on how badly scratched the compressed marble flooring is. Slight scratches can usually be polished off. If it is badly scratched and deep then he's probably right.

Homogeneous tiles are durable, hardwearing, scratch and abrasion resistant. But  may not be re-polished. Check with a reliable source on this.

Do be careful though. Not sure what the actual condition of your flooring is like.

Wish I can help you more but tiles are not in my area of expertise.

Thanks kochmeister for the advice....

does anyone know how to differentiate between compressed marble and homogeneous tiles? Thanks
jlim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:17:59 AM »

Homogeneous tile is usually porcelain clay tile.

Whereas, compressed marble is marble mixed with white cement, about the same as broken marble. This is popular in the 80's. If it's green colour, it is very nice.

Homogeneous tile cannot be polished on site.

If your friend wants to save cost, then go ahead and repolished it. It costs about S$1.20 - $1.50 per sq ft. But the house need to be furniture-free and there's a risk of water leakage to the lower unit.

Contractor will want to advise to hack, it means more profit for him. winked
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: