Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 29, 2024, 07:23:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NKF saga continues  (Read 88776 times)
BlackStallion

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: July 15, 2008, 01:53:34 AM »

Here comes another saga..

And with 70 copies of likely some Love-Action Films... haha

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/360407/1/.html
Hmm...Man & Money = Greed. Even the most pious of a man is shaken by it...

Rgds,
BlackStallion

Advertisement

Eropagnis

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »

We donate and donte till they are richer than rich.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/360779/1/.html

Non-profit organisations urge public not to stop helping the needy
By May Wong, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 16 July 2008 2212 hrs

SINGAPORE: Some non-profit organisations in Singapore have advised the public not to let the latest alleged fraud case, involving Ren Ci charity, to detract them from the bigger issue of helping needy Singaporeans.

Ren Ci Hospital and Medicare Centre is one of the largest charities in Singapore that provides medical and step-down care for the needy.

Ren Ci's former CEO, Venerable Shi Ming Yi, was charged in court on Tuesday with forgery, conspiracy and misappropriating charity funds.

The monk, whose actual name is Goh Kah Heng, is out on a S$200,000 bail. He is due to be back in court on August 4.

Venerable Ming Yi was the face of Ren Ci before this latest incident, and those involved in the charity sector in Singapore said a distinction has to be drawn between the individual and a charity's role.

Gerard Ee, chairman of the National Kidney Foundation, said: "I hope the public will see it clearly and continue to support Ren Ci Hospital because the beneficiaries are in need of their support, in need of continuing service.

"So don't abandon the support for the hospital. As for the individual, like I say, let it take its course, let it have a fair hearing and don't prejudge."

Other non-profit organisations in Singapore are optimistic that donor confidence will not waver from this recent setback. However, it doesn't help that this comes shortly after the former chief of National Kidney Foundation, TT Durai, was jailed for misappropriating funds.

Adrian Choo, an associate lecturer, said: "I thought that other people would have learnt from him (Durai), but apparently not. It would cause me to question the integrity of the heads of the charities and the charities themselves. I used to donate without thinking, but now I would think much more."

Susan Lee, an entrepreneur, said: "It sort of saddened me... I feel that it's the people who mismanaged it, not the organisation. So I will continue to donate because I wholeheartedly want to give to the charity and how they manage (the money) is up to them to answer for it."

Being answerable to donors is precisely what charities have to do today with the newly introduced Code of Governance, prescribing guidelines on how charities should be run.

Tan Chee Koon, CEO of National Volunteer and Philanthropy Centre, said: "If indeed there has been wrongdoing, then justice must, of course, take its natural course.

"It's not about the amount. I think for charities, we have to be purer than pure, and whiter than white. There's no shortcut to it because we are operating on public trust. And public trust has to be earned."   

This latest incident involving Ren Ci has certainly disappointed many Singaporeans, but the consensus is to learn from any mistakes made, strengthen the safeguards within the charities and move on with the primary objective of helping the disadvantaged.

- CNA/so

Look what I've found:
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: