Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 05, 2024, 02:05:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BYOB  (Read 18189 times)
Stallion

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/271092/1/.html

"Bring Your Own Bag" campaign gets mixed reactions

By Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 18 April 2007 1920 hrs

SINGAPORE: 18 April is the first day of the "Bring Your Own Bag" campaign, aimed at getting Singaporeans to use fewer plastic bags.

Plastic bags have become an acceptable way at the moment but the National Environment Agency (NEA) and seven supermarket chains hope to change this habit.

The NEA says it is encouraged by the response so far.

In a statement, the NEA says at Giant supermarket in Parkway Parade, response was so overwhelming that reusable bags were sold out by midday and new stock had to be brought in.

Over at Carrefour in Suntec, some shoppers came with their own bags and those who didn't, bought one on the spot.

As for NTUC Fairprice, it says about half of its customers brought their own bags.

The supermarket actually managed to reduce its use of plastic bags by about 30 per cent.

It estimates it has sold between 8,000 and 10,000 reusable bags on the first day of the "Bring Your Own Bag" campaign, though some shoppers are still reluctant to take on the "Go Green" challenge.

"Well not all customers are used to the idea of using reusable bags. It really takes time and effort to persuade them to change their habit. But we can't do it overnight," says Gerry Lee, General Manager, Supermarkets, NTUC Fairprice.

Fairprice says it has also sold more than 90,000 reusable bags since it started the push for such bags in March last year, compared to 15,000 the previous year.

The NEA is also trying to change mindsets by getting shoppers to either bring their own bags on the first Wednesday of each month, or buy one.

So, when you go shopping to grab a few items, the cashier will ask if you want to buy a reusable bag for less than one dollar.

If not, you can make a 10-cent donation to help environmental causes.

But convincing people to switch to reusable bags, is an uphill task.

"We have been using plastic for so long... we're not used to it if we use the recycle bags," says one shopper.

Channel NewAsia's YourNews hotline also received similar feedback.

A Madam Lin said she is unhappy at being "forced" to buy a plastic bag for 10 cents, when she wanted to hand-carry her goods.

While a Mr Tan said charging 10 cents for each plastic bag is "unreasonable" and urged getting rid of the pricing scheme.

Even so, changing mindsets - and increasing the low two per cent of shoppers bringing their own bags - is going to be a long-term effort.

The NEA says it will monitor public response to the campaign in the coming months and hopes more retailers will come on board.

The next "Bring Your Own Bag" day will be on 2 May. - CNA/yy

Advertisement

Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »

Looks more like selling bag campaign to me.
Maybe I can setup a push cart outside these shopping malls and sell reusabe bag.
H2OSeekers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:29:35 AM »

Let me know if you do. I will join you and can make some pocket money...  clapping
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:43:21 AM »

10 cent is too much. In the country that introduce this system charged only 1 cent with large and thick quality.

Let me know too, we can sell plastic bags in PP
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: