Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 15, 2024, 11:53:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who wants to learn Scuba Diving?  (Read 9644 times)
scubaparents

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:56 PM »

Sotong, rest assured, there's no compelling reason for starting anything commercial here, I started this SIG to cultivate love for diving among Punggol residents, myself being an on-off diver after having a daughter now 4 years old. Yes, I went to that blog site and yes, Singaporean divers do get dcs (decom sickness), but let's stay positive about this hobby/sport, lets not deter those wanted to learn and hop onboard the diving experience, but you've made your point about the dangers and your preferences to dive operators overseas based on their safety standards and records.

Advertisement

H2OSeekers

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 12:43:43 AM »

Many enjoyed diving, some got into injury and some didn't manage to come back. Dive safe and don't take safety for granted. BTW, I personnally think OZ/Mauritius/Maldive are much professional and put safety in priority than Malaysia/Indonesia/Thailand. I heard diving in some Europe country need to be medically certify and in redsea, medical cert is a must. Sipadan Water Village is one of the best dive operator that I have dived in Asia so far, probably it is managed by Japanese. My dream diving site are Palau (still trying to persude my kaki to go), Redsea (very worry abt shark there) and Tahiti Bora Bora Island (I must go once in my life time!!).

I start to realise this thread looks to me like a commerical post, perhaps I should not even start at the first place. I shall stop here. Below news just to share.

Singapore News   
Doctor starts blog to help divers understand risks when underwater
By Lin Yanqin, TODAY | Posted: 29 June 2007 1049 hrs

Each year, five to six diving deaths occur in South-east Asia, and about 25 Singaporean divers fall victim to decompression sickness — a potentially fatal condition that can occur when divers surface too quickly.

Poor technique, poor planning and carelessness can contribute to such tragedies, but often overlooked — yet equally important — are the psychological reasons behind diving deaths and accidents.

To help spread awareness on dealing with stress and panic underwater, Dr Michael Ong, medical director of Hyperbaric Medical Services at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, has started a blog for divers to share their experiences on diving accidents and fatalities

Don't worry Sotong, you were right to start it, if in doubt, always ask. Which you did. My wife had to seek hyperbaric treatment as a result of diving incident in Oz (Moreton Islands) with an ill-prepared operator. I have dived in Mauritius with the operator at Le Morne Beach Resort, they were above average, some minor areas needed improvement, nothing life-threatening, dive guide finning too fast and I ended up leading the group myself.

Sharks, you have nothing to worry about, we have brought divers to areas that have several big sharks in the past. Stroke a few big leopard sharks close-up. We have all grown up with the fear of sharks because of the Movie Jaws. Sharks usually avoid divers.
In Asia, the titan triggerfish is more fearful, only during mating season.

I no longer teach diving, as my time is now spent more on my son (Teaching him swimming and cycling) and my wife. As much as I miss diving, nothing gives me more pleasure than bonding with my son and wife.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:46:28 AM by H2OSeekers » Logged
scubaparents

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 04:17:39 AM »

H20, nothing is forever, I look fwd to your arriving in Punggol and we go diving some time in the future, but lets settle for cycling first (though my cycling sucks).
scubaparents

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 10:59:34 PM »

I would like to invite all you folks to the 8th Aug Punggol BBQ so that we can all share about our dive experiences, good or bad, but most importantly, get to know one another. Who knows, maybe we can even firm up something for our scheduled dive trip at the end of Aug? Come sign up for that BBQ from that thread, bring anything along, and share a nite of getting to know each other!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: