Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 16, 2024, 02:23:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New School in Punggol  (Read 18027 times)
sleepingfish

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 08:39:35 PM »

Mee Toh used to be in Race Course Road. Due to super low student intacts, it was nearly closed down before moving to Punggol. To be consider a 'top school', Mee Toh still has a long way to go.

My daughter is in Mee Toh and I realise that her english is degraded (due to the kids she mixed with, mostly of them speak singlish) though chinese has improved.

oh..i din noe tat.....some of my neighbours' kids are there...according them...mee toh is teaching them well....tat's why i thot it's a 'good school'...one of my neighbours even went to join as a clan member in order to get her gal in for next year P1.....gosh....

Advertisement

sunshineliv

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 08:54:50 PM »

Just want to my 2cts worth of "professional" advice Smiley

There is no perfect school in this world.  The fact that the standard of your child's English Language has deteriorated is not a good indication that the school is not doing a good job in educating your kids.  What is considered as a good school? The reputation? The many distinctions your child has attained in school? I am not so sure if that is a yardstick to see how good the school is. 

I dont mean to offend anyone but I think it is pretty sad that many Singapore parents have associated good schools with good grades.  Many neighbourhood schools have great teaching practices, compared to many of these reputed schools where the teachers may not necessarily be good in teaching anyway. I would love a school that does not only practice great teaching methods but also emphasizes on character education.  I certainly do not want my child to be achieving distinctions but has a lousy character.  I want a school that builds my child's character too.

I also want to say that it is also the parents' responsibility to educate their child too.  If you find your child speaking non-standard English then I think it would be good to let teach them how to speak good English.  Mee Toh is essentially a Chinese clan school and parents must be prepared that the standard of Chinese Language there would probablly be higher than English. I can assure you that if your child goes to Chinese High, he will speak better Mandarin than English.  Then is it alright to be better in Mandarin than English just because he is in Chinese HIgh? Let's not practise double standards here.

Good education is not just about grades.
fsng0156

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 10:46:34 PM »

Take it easy, I'm not saying Mee Toh is not a good school. I'm saying it has a long way from being a well reputated school. If you've a kid in the school and majority of the time she comes home telling you a joke about how the teacher has spoken, you'll start to get worry too.

We've form our own so call "school parent group" since the school decided to remove the "Parent Support Group" without givig any reason, we do exchange informations about the school, the teachers, the teaching and the principal.

I don't demand alot from my kids but they should at least speak decent standard english. All along they speak good standard english as they went to a English speaking Kindergarden and out of the sudden they start to speak singlish. I've not objection about singlish if the kids know how to switch between standard english and singlish but if they're still trying to master standard english and though that singlish is all right to be use, then they ought to be corrected immediately
hamster

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »

wow...so many schools in punggol already...what...we become study hub or something...we why not have downtown north east in punggol..haha...like pasir ris.....then got roller coasters...blablabla

we are becoming punggol educational hub and pungol medical centre mah.........  stick tongue
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: