Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 26, 2024, 06:52:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Schooling?  (Read 10526 times)
Austin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 12:30:35 AM »

fyi, pre-schooling is not compulsory.  if you are a sahm, you can teach your kids using a wide range of assessment books.  you can save on school fees, travelling time, separation anxieties.  bonus point is bonding time with your child.
my boy didn't attend k2 and he's doing fine in Pr 1 this yr.

Hi jlim,

does your child have any problem mixing with the children at P1? What about the syllabus? Is he in tune with the rest of teh children?

What sort of syllabus should I teach my child if I am to home school him for K1- K2?

Thanks for so for your time

Advertisement

jlim

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:07:19 AM »

Hi Austin, my boy had no problem mixing with the other children. suppose if you do bring your child out often and interact with relatives, friends or even neighbours, they won't feel so shy.
I bought pre-school books and pre- pr 1 assessment books and read lots of books to him. The main thing is your child must know how to read, write and understand instruction verbally. as for his mother-tongue, I bought han yu pin ying vcd and workbk to guide him. cos in P1, some kids get confuse with phonics and parents also don't know how to teach.
by the way, how old is your child?
My elder boy is in P1 and younger one is 5 yrs .
Austin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 10:40:23 AM »

Hi Austin, my boy had no problem mixing with the other children. suppose if you do bring your child out often and interact with relatives, friends or even neighbours, they won't feel so shy.
I bought pre-school books and pre- pr 1 assessment books and read lots of books to him. The main thing is your child must know how to read, write and understand instruction verbally. as for his mother-tongue, I bought han yu pin ying vcd and workbk to guide him. cos in P1, some kids get confuse with phonics and parents also don't know how to teach.
by the way, how old is your child?
My elder boy is in P1 and younger one is 5 yrs .

Hi jlim,

my boy only 2 1/2 years old. He and his mother stick like glue Undecided so I thinking of home schooling for him, to help ease him from separation anxiety...
Edelweiss

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:40:28 PM »

Early childhood is the time to build a child's interest in learning and habits of mind such as self-regulation and perseverance; not just to prepare him/her for Primary one.  Brain research seems to point to the fact that learning is very much tied to our emotions, that is, the affective aspect of our development, and early childhood is the best time to inculcate these habits.  As such, banish those commercial assessment books!  They do nothing to stimulate your child's thinking and develop his habits of mind. 

For young children, learning takes place through PLAY, lots of hands-on exploration and experiences (such as a simple trip to the supermarket) and supportive interactions with adults and peers.  For example, when children pretend that a teacup is a telephone, they are not just being creative; it shows that they are beginning to engage in symbolic thought (i.e. the ability to substitute an object for something else) - the precursors to the ability to use symbols in math and language.  Autistic children are not able to engage in symbolic play; their play is highly repetitive e.g. turning a toy continuously instead of using it to represent something else. 

When young children engage in socio dramatic play, they have to regulate their own needs and wants in order for the play to continue (e.g. if everybody wants to be the father in the family, the play cannot continue).  This helps them to develop self-control and negotiation skills.  Pretending to write the grocery list during play helps children to see the functions of print in everyday life - that print has a purpose.  This is the beginning of reading and writing.  Even drawing and constructing requires intellectual thought because your child has to think how to represent what he wants to express through a different medium.

So, banish those assessment books!  Give your child lots of experiences to play, interact with adults and peers and support his natural curiosity to learn.  You will prepare him for life, not just P1!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: