Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 18, 2024, 11:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Schooling?  (Read 10483 times)
Austin

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »

Hi,
is anyone doing home schooling with their children? I am thinking of doing that when my boy is ready for school.

Advertisement

sunshineliv

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 08:57:32 PM »

Home Schooling is huge in the States but being in a meritocratic education system in Singapore, you have to consider quite a number of things ie will your child blame you for missing out on school life?, are you adequately prepared for his PSLE? Implications if he doesnt do well for PSLE? where will he go post PSLE? You have to consider these questions before making the decision to homeschool your child. All home-schooled kids will still have to sit for it.  It is mandatory. 

"Home-schooling - Where the parents are able to satisfy MOE that the two key objectives of CE can be achieved for their children.  Parents will have to apply to MOE for a certificate confirming that the child has been exempted from CE.  They are required to furnish information on the curriculum and educational outcomes of the home-schooling programme and make declarations that their child will sit the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) in 4 subjects (English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Science) when the child is above the age of 11 years and before attaining the age of 15 years.  A home-schooled child has to meet the same PSLE benchmark as children attending the San Yu Adventist School, and sit the National Education Quiz before PSLE"- http://www.moe.gov.sg/ce/exempt.htm

Therefore its not that easy to home school kids in Singapore simply because the education system here does not allow variations to obtaining education
jo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 01:05:29 AM »

I think home schooling is any interesting idea. Maybe not do it for primary or sec school. Rather try it out for nursery and kindergarten when there is still the separation anxiety thingy happening at that age.

I have some friends who do it for their young kids and the children turn out fine.
jlim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:25:05 AM »

fyi, pre-schooling is not compulsory.  if you are a sahm, you can teach your kids using a wide range of assessment books.  you can save on school fees, travelling time, separation anxieties.  bonus point is bonding time with your child.
my boy didn't attend k2 and he's doing fine in Pr 1 this yr.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: