Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
June 16, 2024, 06:16:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Principal's ITE advice had to be delivered.  (Read 4928 times)
tom

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:07:34 AM »

The whole episode started when a principal commented , " that Sec 5 students who stay on to do the " O " levels instead of applying to the ITE will find it a tough road ahead.

The public  thinks the above statement would shatter students' confidence. The authorities said, ' if that were the case, he would be worried about just how fragile young people were todayblushing

The authorities commented, " We can take the approach where you cringe, your confidence is affected and it impacts you negatively, and it's an excuse. Or you can stand up tall, with resolve and say that I am a better person than you think I am and I will show you I have what it takes to achieve the results. " thumbs up

He added that it was necessary to build that resilience in students, because when they go to the real world, they are going to face circumstances well beyond their control. thumbs up

Personally, I feel, today our new generation kids are too well protected, so much so, maybe they cannot withstand setbacks, knocks and not too friendly remarks. Allow me to say, even teachers and principals has to be very careful when they discipline their students. In the olden days, parents respected teachers and parents just leave their kids in school, knowing they are in good hands.

Todays parents are better educated and we are getting more advance,  Smiley Smiley Smiley so teachers may have a hard time.  chitchat What say you ?

Advertisement

Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »

oh ya...I also pissed off with my daughter's teacher.

She shows such favoritism and only have eyes on those top 10 girls and boys. Wrote a complaint letter to the principal, MOE and MP to remove this teacher. Never mention our names lah. Wait for these few days whether any changes.

Don't know what criteria the prefects are chosen, even like to cry for no reason girl also chosen as a prefect. Just because that girl joined CCA that this teacher is in-charge.
Wonie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »

Personally, I feel, today our new generation kids are too well protected, so much so, maybe they cannot withstand setbacks, knocks and not too friendly remarks.

Hi Tom,

You're quite right.....

Through no fault of ours, kids/youngsters these days are indeed better shielded against 'the storms of the world' - as my mum likes to say. We've been brought up to expect 'soft talk', lots of rationalisation, time-out approach, counselling, reinforcements (positive or negative), etc.

The reverse psychology approach of 'giving you the rod to shock you to sensibilities' no longer works in this day & age. When I was young, my father used to regale me with stories of his childhood days & how his parents used to drum into the children - it was either you studied hard & made it in life or end up being a 'kopi kia' or road-sweeper.  This threat will not work today simply because there aren't many kopi boys or road sweeping jobs around! Technology has seen to Starbucks & Sembcorp taking over respectively. Otherwise, the low end mudane jobs are taken over by PRCs, as we've discussed at length at other threads.

Back to the topic, schools are very much aware of the changing parenting trends & mindsets. During my JC days, we had pretty intensive discussions and even projects about the consequences of teenage sex. No longer did parents, schools or authorities preach top-down about the perils & consequences of such acts but engage students in the whys. 

Because we were deeply involved in the subject, we got to see the rationale ourselves. We even interviewed young teenaged girls in shelter homes regarding their unwanted pregnancies and the impact on their young lives. Of course, it was an emotional project to undertake, especially for girls like myself. Between empathy & rationalisation, we've learned to take care of ourselves. If not, who will?

I don't think parents over-reacted in the above case about the ITE threat. Every parent loves his / her offsprings, it is only natural to protect them as long as they possibly can. My grandad still nags at my father sometimes, would you believe it??

I feel that the principal should have used statistics and examples to show the girls rather than resorting to the 'do it or die' mentality. The principal could have called for parents' conference too. Isn't parent-teacher collaboration a big thing these days? It was the first week of school, no less. No one likes to start their new year hearing insinuations that they're losers and will not make it. Not even 16-year-olds, I'm sure.

I'm not saying that she should not have used this approach at all. I just feel that it should only be used as a last resort, that is, if all else fails..... Perhaps, that would go down better with the students, parents & members of the public.

Just my thoughts..
sky

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:48:31 AM »

oh ya...I also pissed off with my daughter's teacher.

She shows such favoritism and only have eyes on those top 10 girls and boys. Wrote a complaint letter to the principal, MOE and MP to remove this teacher. Never mention our names lah. Wait for these few days whether any changes.

Don't know what criteria the prefects are chosen, even like to cry for no reason girl also chosen as a prefect. Just because that girl joined CCA that this teacher is in-charge.

And the purpose of your posting is...??

I am sure that the School/MOE/MP will not reply any letters which are anonymous. I reckon it will be better to meet up with the teacher concerned to clear the air. Writing to the authorities to remove a teacher for showing favoritism just does not make sense to me.

My 2 cents worth.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: