Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 18, 2024, 01:59:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air conditioning in schools, aka indoor thermal comfort  (Read 1356 times)
limweech

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »

Recently, MOE invited solutions "to improve the indoor thermal comfort of classrooms in schools". This was published as a RFI (request for information) MOE000/RIS/RFI/2011/05/012, on 9th May 2011.

It was picked up by Straits Times, Carolyn Quek, "MOE seeks ways to beat the heat in class."
Which can be found at https://sites.google.com/a/chssec.edu.sg/project-learning/blog/moeseekswaystobeattheheatinclass

The article prompted a number of responses from readers.

May 19, 2011 Cheaper way to stay cool in school - wear practical clothing, Eric J. Brooks
May 21, 2011 Switching to lighter school uniform makes sense, Nah Liang Tang (Ms)
May 21, 2011 Focus on better-designed school buildings, Paul Chan
Jun 18, 2011  Let pupils sweat it out, Catherine Tan (Ms)

There's probably other responses, but that is all I can find online currently. There's also comments on blogs and forums, such as hardwarezone etc. and there is mrbrown's response at http://twitpic.com/4z4ugq

I find it very interesting that there are quite a number of responses.. which relishes maintaining the status quo. The idea is such that, if the older generation did not get to enjoy it, the kids can't have it. An idea of "Go tough it out, you kids! Just like the uncle and aunties did". I find such an attitude deploring.

Almost all, if not all, classrooms and lecture halls in Singapore universities had air conditioning, over 15 years ago.
Junior colleges had air conditioning in lecture halls, but not in classrooms, over 15 years ago.

Secondary schools, and primary schools ? I suppose majority do not have air conditioning in classrooms even today.

BUT there is air conditioning in primary schools.

Where?

First, we provide air conditioning to Principals. Then Vice-Principals. Then HODs. Then rank and file teachers.
The students? The entire purpose of having schools in the first place? They have fans in classrooms. I submit that we have our priorities wrong.

Singapore, one of the richest countries in the world, somehow cannot afford to provide air conditioning for our young ones. Herman Miller chairs for office workers? Yes, we can afford that. Air conditioning for MOE head quarters? Yes, we can afford it. Air conditioning in schools for staff? Yes, we can afford it. Air conditioning in classrooms for our kids? Somehow the answer is No, we cannot afford that. Too Expensive, Not Green. For now.

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: