Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 03, 2024, 10:40:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hard anodized wok  (Read 14838 times)
kool

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »

has any1 used hard anodized wok ,,is it really tht good as they show in the demonstration in tangs,,no rust , non stick , scratchfree etc etc..
i heard its not good to use non stick coz the chemicals go in the food ,, so i try to use steel utencils but the food sticks to surface if cook for a while,,

Advertisement

kochmeister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »

I don't use the anodized ones. Non-Stick pans are good if they are not scratched.

If you are still using iron woks, they provide very good conduction and the trick to it is to cure the surface by coating it with oil, heating it up, let cool and re-coat. repeat the process a few times and wipe off each layer with paper. Do not wash. After awhile, the surface gets really smooth and food tend not to stick on it as much.

Stainless steel surfaces, try and get an 18/10 grade. To prevent food from sticking, you'll need to ensure that you use the right oil at the right temperature. Vegetable, sunflower, safflower, olive oil smoulders and burn at high heat. Peanut oil tends to have a higher resistence. So if you are using vegetable oil, make sure you control the heat well. Do not let it smoke. Fish frying and chicken which is usually the cause of must sticking ... coat a little flour on the skin before frying and you'll find that it won't sticjk so much. Also advisable to towel your meats dry before immersing in a pan.

As for 18/10 grade stainless steel.. The 18/10 refers to the proportion of chromium to nickel in the stainless steel alloy.  To be classified as stainless steel, an iron base alloy must contain at least 10.5 % of chromium.  The presence of chromium enables the steel to form an invisible layer of oxide that protects it against corrosion.

If this layer is damaged, a new one forms immediately due to the oxygen content of the air.  Increasing the chromium content to 18% has further increased this protection.  The addition of nickel to the alloy increased its corrosion resistance while adding a bright polished appearance, hardness, and exceptional resistance to all temperatures.  As the nickel level is increased, the quality of the stainless steel is increased.  The “top of the line” boast 10% nickel content, the highest quality available in stainless steel.

And that is why some cookware is so expensive. WMF is a good brand but a wee bit overpriced. Look for other brands with the 18/10 steel grade and you'll be fine Smiley
Angel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:49:46 AM »

i believe in the cheapest type of black woks found in the local hardware stores.... cheap and durable  winked

spoil already then change... no need heart ache. Those branded stuff... if got 1 scratch also heart ache head banging
kochmeister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »

If you are referring to thos black heavy ones, yes those are the cast iron ones I'm referring to... they are really good to use although I don't use woks but skillets instead  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: