Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 01, 2024, 07:12:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pause For A Cause  (Read 4354 times)
Vivien Wong

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »

By Michelle Bong

Singaporeans have been called many things – lousy (drivers), greedy (diners), fussy (tourists), unreasonable (taxi passengers), demanding (bosses), lazy (employees) and relentless (hagglers, especially at Bangkok’s Chatuchak Market). We can practically go ahead and form a Southeast Asian version of the Seven Dwarves. But apathetic (to causes), we are certainly not.

Granted, it’s all too easy to adopt the “it’s someone else’s problem” attitude, except maybe when it comes to terrorism (seeing that Singapore is surrounded by Islamic nations). But we aren’t averse to “bad” news – global warming, melting ice-caps, natural disasters, children with cancer, the Avian Flu and what have you. We do care about such causes, and even though they may not necessarily occur on our shores (how about that Hurricane Dean, huh!), we care so much that we step forward to help.

Of course, some only go so far as to wonder, before switching the channel to see what Nigella is cooking in all her voluptuous glory. Others remain on the couch and stretch towards the coffee table for their mobiles, especially when another channel shows hotline numbers being chanted almost demonically by sweat-drenched MediaCorp artistes. Happily, there is a whole other group of people who actually get off the couch to do something to help the less fortunate. What’s more, they're women.

When she heard that the Children’s Cancer Foundation was having a “Hair for Hope” road show at Wisma Atria to raise awareness, writer Stacey Anne Rodrigues marched off to the popular downtown mall to have her head shaved in support. As her raven-black hair fell to the ground, her tears didn’t. Instead, she was almost delirious to be making a difference.

Says the 26-year old: “Mass-shaving was going on, and a crowd of shoppers had gathered to gawk. I wasn’t sure how I would look and I even had a nightmare that I would look like a ‘cone head’. But it was all about the thought and not how I’d look afterwards. So I out my fears aside and just went with it.

“Afterwards, people just assumed that I was ill, or that I was someone to fear. It gave me an insight into the world of a cancer patient, who inevitably loses his or her hair through chemotherapy. Still, what I go through is nothing compared to them.”

Meanwhile, others do their part for a good cause while having a little fun along the way. Local boutique Swirl, located at Stamford House, organises events called Swirl Swap Swop whereby women can spring-clean their wardrobes and bring the items to Swirl for swopping. Whatever is left at the end of the swop is sent off to aid people affected by natural disasters. Beneficiaries to date have included the victims of the Kota Tinggi floods and the needy in Ulu Tiram, Johor.

“Working professional women in their 20s and 30s have descended on these swops, where branded items from Burberry, DKNY, Calvin Klein and Paul and Joe have traded hands, along with everyday wear from Zara, Topshop and Mango. All the clothes and most recently, bags, are usually in very good condition. Some clothes have never been worn, and their price tags are still on,” says co-owner of Swirl Suzanne Sng. “Such events are a fun way to do our part for the less fortunate.”

Yet another woman, café partner Lorraine Tham, does her bit for the wider global community in the most thoughtful of ways. Her café, Food for Thought at North Bridge Centre, serves iced water for free – but invite customers to make a donation to World Vision Singapore so that others may have free water.

It is especially commendable that these women are taking such initiatives to for the greater good. In a world where it seems that the number of issues is increasing daily and the odds seem insurmountable, it can all seem a bit too much and at times, one doesn’t even know where to begin to do their bit. What’s important is to have a strong belief in one’s ability to make a difference, no matter how small.

Given that we live in a First World country where we do not have to worry about whether the drought will ruin or crops or where out next meal will come from, there’s really nothing to stop us from being concerned about and acting on the world’s problems. If not us, then who? If not now, then when?

"What's important is to have a strong belief in one's ability to make a difference, no matter how small."

Advertisement

Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:03:43 AM »

Singaporeans have been called many things – lousy (drivers), greedy (diners), fussy (tourists), unreasonable (taxi passengers), demanding (bosses), lazy (employees) and relentless (hagglers, especially at Bangkok’s Chatuchak Market). We can practically go ahead and form a Southeast Asian version of the Seven Dwarves.

wow, is this Sinkapore trade marks?
Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »

Sinkies have one more trademark... FORGETFUL...
And this forgetfulness will happen in occurrance of every 5 years.
Haha....  Poor souls....
tom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:15:27 AM »

I always belief " Charity always starts at home " .....home in this case means Singapore. No matter how small is the contribution, it will always make a difference.  thumbs up correct.

Singapore progresses rapidly and becomes rich. Through whose effort ? Should be the older generations who built the roads,drains,pulling cables,building homes. What has happen to those people today. Where are they ? If we look around, those old and fragile people loitering at the void decks, they are some of those people. Shall we do something for them ? Any suggestions ?

Everytime, when there is an earthquake, plane loads of relief supplies are flown. Everybody rush to their aid. Do they thank us ?  Shocked NO, they curse us most of the time. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: