Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 02, 2024, 01:37:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MAS urges AIA policyholders not to terminate policies hastily  (Read 4587 times)
Stallion

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:31:57 AM »

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/376283/1/.html

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AIG&t=5d       

Looks gloomy ahead.......

MAS urges AIA policyholders not to terminate policies hastily
By Pearl Forss/Ryan Huang, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 16 September 2008 1542 hrs

SINGAPORE : The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has urged AIA policyholders not to act hastily to terminate their insurance policies, as queues formed outside AIA's offices on Tuesday, with some clients seeking to end their policies.

AIA is a subsidiary of New York-based American International Group (AIG) - one of the world's largest insurers - which has been hit by the financial meltdown.

Some Singaporeans are concerned that AIG could be the next financial giant to fall after Lehman Brothers.

With regards to AIG, MAS said: "The value of these assets is not linked to AIA's or AIG's financial condition, but like all investments, their value may be affected by general market conditions."

The MAS assured the public that "AIA currently has sufficient assets in its insurance funds to meet its liabilities to policyholders".

It advised policyholders not to act hastily to terminate their insurance policies as they may suffer losses from the premature termination and lose insurance protection.

MAS explained that there are regulatory requirements, ensuring that all insurance companies maintain statutory insurance funds, including an investment-linked fund. This fund is segregated from its head office and other shareholders' funds.

Within these funds, insurance companies must maintain sufficient assets to meet all its liabilities to policyholders, which include participating policies and investment-linked policies.

MAS monitors the situation closely, and requires insurance companies in Singapore to manage their investment risks carefully.

There have been queues at AIA's offices in Singapore since Tuesday morning.

A few long-term AIA policyholders told Channel NewsAsia that they wanted to surrender their policies, despite incurring losses for premature termination.

Some waited for up to three hours to be attended by staff who were overwhelmed by requests since the office opened on Tuesday morning.

One policy holder said: "I just want to cash out the policy, and I have no intention of putting my money here anymore."

Another said: "I contemplated surrendering it a few years ago, so I guess it's about time."

A third noted: "AIG was mentioned in those reports, so we just wanted to make sure that whatever we have is going to be safe." - CNA/ms

Advertisement

stealth_boi

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:39:03 PM »

wow... it is so quiet here...

anyway US Government announces $85 billion loan to save AIG so ur $$ is quite safe... dun worry folks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080917/ap_on_bi_ge/aig;_ylt=AtHd.vMCzy7KJEmOT8ArjcGyBhIF
Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »

More people are cashing out ...

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,177034,00.html?

Hundreds queue to terminate AIA policies 
They're afraid to 'lose out' because of parent company's woes
By Arul John
September 18, 2008       

THE man in the line could not be convinced by the assurances.

WE WANT OUR MONEY: The queue of people outside AIA Tower yesterday afternoon. TNP PICTURES: CHOO CHWEE HUA 
The studio photographer in his 50s, who wanted to be known only as Mr Heng, said he owns several AIA life insurance and investment-linked policies.

Yesterday, he decided to terminate some of them and joined scores of people who lined up from around 9am outside AIA Singapore's Shenton Way headquarters.

This came after news on Monday that AIA Singapore's parent company, American International Group Inc (AIG), had been allowed to access US$20 billion ($29 b) of capital from its subsidiaries to help it out of its difficulties.

AIG reported larger than expected losses in the first quarter of this year, and by end-June, had lost US$13.2 billion. This, with the collapse of investment bank Lehman Brothers and the takeover of its rival Merrill Lynch by the Bank of America, has plunged the world financial system into turmoil.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) urged policyholders not to act in haste.

But Mr Heng said: 'Hong Kong-based websites which I read state that AIG's problems could cause it to be bankrupt in a short time. I think it is better for me to cash in my policies and get as much returns now. If I wait too long, I may lose out.'

Three middle-aged men in the queue, who did not want to give their names, were also adamant about terminating their life insurance policies.

This, despite reassurances from staff and copies of press reports pasted at the customer care centre to show that AIA is not affected by the recent financial firestorm.

One of them said: 'I would rather do it now and get some money than wait for more bad news later, by which time it may be too late for me to get any money.'

One of his friends said: 'MAS made all those assurances in order to prevent a panic. What will they be able to do if and when the situation really gets worse? I don't want to wait until that time.'

They were also not losing much money as their policies were near maturity.

But there were others who were willing to give up their policies even though they stand to lose more.

Finance company executive Manu Tandon, 25, said his brother authorised him to terminate his AIA policy, although it was only in effect for 10 years.

He said: 'Despite the MAS assurances, I do not feel confident and I will carry out my brother's wishes, even though the surrender value will be low.'

Bank employee C Y Ang, who is in her 30s, also said she wanted to terminate her life insurance policy although it was only in effect for about 10 years.

Agreeing with her was finance executive Liza Tham, 45, who said: 'We have only heard from MAS, but we have not heard anything from AIA or AIG. That is why I went to AIA Tower today, to find out what they have to say about the matter.'

One AIA agent, who did not want to be named, said many of her clients had called her during the last few days. 'Many of them wanted to terminate their policies but I managed to assure them to keep their policies. I promised them I would update them as soon as I got more news,' she said.

An AIA Singapore spokesman said the firm could meet the liabilities of all its policyholders.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: