Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 01, 2024, 01:08:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lao Lee: I'm sorry  (Read 13364 times)
gaonrat

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=03102006774nh5.jpg

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.as...3329&sec=nation

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/233622/1/.html

must ask him to give number for me to buy 4-d or toto
but if u read carefully..he only apologise for making Badawi uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 02:18:15 PM by gaonrat » Logged

Advertisement

Fire76

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:47:45 AM »

Oct 3, 3:43 AM EDT

Malaysian leader unmoved by Singapore stateman's apology on comments about ethnic Chinese

By EILEEN NG
Associated Press Writer

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) -- Malaysia's prime minister on Tuesday again blasted remarks by Singapore's elder stateman Lee Kuan Yew that Malaysia marginalizes its ethnic Chinese, saying the comments were uncalled for and should not be repeated.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said he had taken note of a letter from Lee in which the former Singapore leader stopped short of retracting his criticism but apologized for causing Abdullah "discomfort" by making the remarks.

"I have taken note of it, but let me say this: the statement that (Lee Kuan Yew) made in Singapore is uncalled for and not appreciated," Abdullah told reporters when asked whether he accepted Lee's apology.

"I think its important that we have to ensure that such statements should not be made again," Abdullah said, adding that they could "incite the feelings of Malaysians."

The elder Lee last month said that that Singapore's neighbors Malaysia and Indonesia "systematically" marginalize Chinese minorities, and expect them to be "compliant." Abdullah strongly protested the comments.

Lee, the founder of modern Singapore, was once a minister in Malaysia when the Southeast Asian neighbors were briefly united in the 1960s. The two countries, who share close social and historical ties, have had a history of testy relations.

Disputes have ranged from the price of water to airspace use to territorial disagreements.

Lee said he did not intend to interfere in Malaysian politics, but his comments were meant to illustrate that Singapore needs a strong majority government to defend its interests, particularly in maintaining good relations with Indonesia and Malaysia.

"I am sorry that what I said has caused you a great deal of discomfort," Lee wrote in the letter to Malaysia's Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. The letter was dated Friday and distributed to the media late Monday.

"After a decade of troubled relations with your predecessor, it is the last thing I wanted," Lee said, referring to former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, a frequent critic of Singapore before he retired in 2003.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

head banging head banging head banging head banging head banging head banging head banging head banging head banging head banging
Fire76

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 06:50:56 AM »

Oct 4, 2006
MM LEE'S LETTER TO ABDULLAH
Umno and MCA accept MM's 'apology'
Not enough, say some leaders, while others consider the matter closed

KUALA LUMPUR - KEY parties within the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition government largely welcomed what they viewed as Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's 'apology' yesterday.

At the same time, several of their leaders criticised his reply to Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi.

In his reply, which was made public on Monday evening, MM Lee said that he was sorry that his remarks had caused the Malaysian leader 'a great deal of discomfort'.

MM Lee said that he was speaking to a liberal Western audience which wanted to see a stronger opposition in Singapore.

His view was that Singapore needed a strong government to maintain good relations with Indonesia and Malaysia. Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar said that while he did not regard MM Lee's reply as an 'apology', Prime Minister Abdullah's response should suffice.

'I think we have done what we could do,' he said in reply to a question on whether the Malaysian government would ask Singapore to retract MM Lee's remarks.

'The Prime Minister has given his statement (and) that is the position of the government.'

The Barisan coalition's Youth leader, Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Tun Hussein, accepted Mr Lee's apology for the discomfort caused by his comments about how Malaysia treated its Chinese community.

Datuk Hishamuddin heads the Youth wing of Umno which is the coalition's predominant party, and, as Education Minister is a senior Cabinet minister.

He said he was surprised by MM Lee's reply. He did not expect Mr Lee to apologise and it was not easy for him to do so, he added.

'We accept the apology, especially when it came from somebody who is very wise,' he told reporters after chairing the Barisan Nasional Youth exco meeting here.

The coalition's senior Chinese party, the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA), urged closure following MM Lee's reply.

MCA president Ong Ka Ting said MM Lee's letter should put an end to what he described as minor bickering between leaders of the two neighbours.

'We should move on... the Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi) has already made his stand,' said Datuk Seri Ong.

'For the good of the two countries, we should move on and not prolong the argument.'

Other Umno stalwarts criticised MM Lee for not being sensitive enough when he made his remarks about the marginalisation of Chinese in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Information chief Muhammad Muhammad Taib also said it was not appropriate for Mr Lee, who is the city state's Minister Mentor, to link the issue to the sour bilateral ties with Malaysia and Malaysian leaders, particularly of former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad.

'Lee's action in highlighting the decade of troubled relations with the former prime minister gave the impression that Malaysian leaders, Umno leaders and the Malays like to create problems.

'This was an insult, and the remarks should not have been made by a leader from a neighbouring country,' said Tan Sri Muhammad in a statement here today.

He described Mr Lee's comments by dragging Tun Dr Mahathir into the issue, as 'fishing in troubled waters'.

Umno vice-president Mohamed Ali Rustam said that as a veteran leader, MM Lee should respect the sensitivities of a neighbouring country by not making provocative statements.

He said the matter should be a lesson so that the good relations which Malaysia and Singapore had enjoyed would not be affected by hurtful statements.

BERNAMA
Runner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 10:48:17 PM »

To me, He did it on purpose.
Hit two birds with one stone.

He stirred up this issue. For Malaysia(MY) to keep quiet = MM Lee is correct, so LL, MY gotta make some noise. If not, Dr M will step in & criticise the current MY gov.
Once MY made noises, He simply apologised for making Badawi uncomfortable(not really an apologies to me). If he really made a formal apologies, that will mean hitting himself in the foot, & his words will no longer be creditable at the International Stage. Do U think he is stupid enough to do that?
So when MY demanded an explanation (Haha, they'd fallen into his trap!), He replied by publishing a list of examples how formal MY's PM(Dr M) & his ministers did the same thing to SG last time. Now, MY again LL, gotta keep quiet & just accept his 'appology' & lets move on. Remembering not to do it again to SG.

To me, MM Lee is just way too smart. Can't say abt PM Lee though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: