Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 25, 2024, 11:20:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IMF/World Bank meetings  (Read 37277 times)
erase

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2006, 09:10:01 AM »

from what i understand,those "new" flowers that were planted along orchard rd,will be removed and only the "new" garden opposite istana will be maintained.

But but sun flower will not grow here .........

is alright lah...the people here are very free...let them do it...and create jobs also....  Grin

Listen to one as if he were a King. Watch with 10 pairs of eyes and listen with one heart.

Advertisement

PowerPuffGirl

My Precious Love

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2006, 09:38:32 AM »

from what i understand,those "new" flowers that were planted along orchard rd,will be removed and only the "new" garden opposite istana will be maintained.

But but sun flower will not grow here .........

is alright lah...the people here are very free...let them do it...and create jobs also....  Grin

Create jobs for more Banga?
kochmeister

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2006, 08:14:49 AM »

It's interesting to read how this topic is veering all over the place from the main issue in mind to flowers and now to foreign workers..........  Huh? Good job in trying to keep this topic in line Fire76!  thumbs up
Fire76

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2006, 12:46:40 AM »

Oct 2, 2006
How other businesses fared

House of Sundanese Food, Suntec City Fountain Terrace

FOR Mr Noel Linn, a manager at the House of Sundanese Food in the Suntec City Fountain Terrace, the International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings were a letdown.

The promised crowds were nowhere to be seen, and business fell by 80 to 85 per cent.   head banging

'Some days, we didn't even make $100 for the whole dinner period,' said Mr Linn.   head banging

The office crowds were missing too, as many were working from home.

The restaurant does $3,000 of business a day on average, said Mr Linn. 'Fridays and Saturdays are usually very good business days, but on the Friday during the meetings, we made only half that amount, and only $700 the next day.'

Staff were told to clear their days off, and Mr Linn himself took three days' leave.

The lull was also used for extra training sessions.

'Before work, I delegated a job to them, and after work, I shared with them what their difficulties and problems were,' he said.

'I know the meetings were good for Singapore, but people here were suffering. If they want to do something in Suntec in the future, we are afraid. It was worse than during the Sars period.'   head banging

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Balaclava, Suntec City Mall

THIS popular drinking spot (above), located at the entrance of Suntec City Mall, was almost obscured from view by a large tent set up for security checks.
'From the outside, no one could see us at all. You couldn't even see the word 'Balaclava',' said marketing manager Carol Anne Wah.

Daily takings dropped by 90 per cent.

'We pay a six-figure rent. During the... IMF/World Bank meetings, what we earned was not enough to cover even 10 per cent of that,' Ms Wah said.

The bar, popular with office workers in the area, normally has 800 to 1,000 patrons on Friday nights, she said, and about 300 to 600 people on weeknights.

But an average of only 20 people a night came during the week of the meetings.   head banging head banging

So, a section of the bar was closed and the 60-member staff cut by half. Those who were there made use of the time to brush up on their knowledge of cocktails, wines and other drinks.

The few delegates who came to unwind stayed for 'a very quick five- to 10-minute break and then they had to run off again', said Ms Wah.

Source : Asiaone

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: