Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 28, 2024, 08:52:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commuters brace themselves as fare hike deadline looms  (Read 17074 times)
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 02:29:12 AM »

Even though we are just the citizens of Singapore. We have to look at National point of view. I believe with the increase in bus/MRT/LRTfares are to slowly increases the standard of living in Singapore. Even our income also increases. Every country is the same, they have advantage and disadvantage to bare with.

Advertisement

kochmeister

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 02:56:12 AM »

Well not in proportion to wage increases unfortunately I think.

While most of us, earning a fairly good salary and sitting in our air conditioned offices, the increases may seem justifiable. What's 50 cents to most of us? What's a dollar even? To some it's a loaf of bread.

Let's spare a thought for those who are retrenched, unable to find work (not by their own fault) and those who are dependant on others. Even $50 a week is still something compared to nought.

If a guy can't even afford to take public transport to look for work, how then is he or she going to look for work? These people are good honest hard-working citizens and increases just makes it even harder for them. Eventually some will turn to crime and vice. The effect can spiral. Just a matter of how soon it'll happen.

Other countries have a welfare system where the unemployed gets a small sum from the government to get by. We don't.

I've been in the poor house before. $20 for a whole month. Believe me, everything starts to look real expensive. Even buying newspapers is considered extravagant.

Increases are necessary and justifiable to keep a transport system running at optimal level but uncalled for if the transport company is still reaping in millions in profit.

Would you prefer cheaper bus fares or mobile TV in every single bus? The Electronic tap system for our EZ-Link cost millions, sure it speeds up efficiency and all that, make a few extra bucks even from people who forget to tap out when they alight but seriously, at what cost has that on us the commuters? We think the companies are doing a great job introducing this and that on buses but it's our money that's paying for it.
PSLS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 03:13:43 AM »

Koch, Well said.  thumbs up
I believe we will see an increase in suicide rate in sin in the coming 10-20 years.
That's the price to pay for "increase standard of living".
Just look at Japan  Huh?
Do you want that to happen?
Fire76

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 03:45:26 AM »

Yes, as per Taiwan has mentioned. we should looking at the "National point of view" because we are all employees of "Singapore International Pte Ltd". cheers cheers cheers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: