Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 10, 2024, 12:04:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning to go Swiss  (Read 9929 times)
edhan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 09:03:38 PM »

Hallo Superbmum
I don't think it is a full winter in Nov.  But then again winter may come earlier this year.  For me it is not that cold in the Swiss town cos I have been to colder places like the artic circles. But the mountain can be a bit of challenge if you are not used to it.  I think temp in the town should be around 5-10degC normally.

For kid, better bring warm clothings & it doesn't mean just by wearing more it be warm.  A layer of long john & those ski suit for kid works pretty well.  If need to a layer of flees/wool pullover can be added before the ski suit if not too warm.

For adults, you need to dress correctly.  Usually, what we did, wear a 1st layer of good long john (pure cotton material is good. wool is better if you can stand the 'itchness' on your skin).  Follow by a 2nd layer of flees jacket or pullover.  Finally a good winter jacket that is 'wind proof' to be the outer layer.

That's for the body.  For the legs, after wearing the long john, a pair of ski pants will do the trick if it is real cold.  For me I usually wear jean.

For the feet, wear gd thick cotton sock, double layer if necessary & a pair of waterproof shoes.  Leather shoes or boot will be good.  Track shoes are certainly out.

For the face, use lots of moisturiser esp for girls (man also lar).  Use ear protection against the wind & beanie is good to cover the head.  Scarf will also be good but I find it more like accessories.

For the hand, use lots of moisturiser also cos it will dry & crack & its painful.  A good pair of ski gloves is the best protection.

For accomodation, search & book thru the Net.  You will find cheaper rate then walk-in.  Stay near town central if possible to avoid travelling.  Can be bad esp in winter.

Shopping, actually nothing really interest us there.  Some glass stuffs look intersting, like barometer & glass balls thermometer etc.  Clothings etc you probably won't find much cos it is winter & selling only winter stuffs.

Wah.... look like a long reply....  smile

Advertisement

Superbmum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »

hai ethan, yr long reply certainly beneficial to me...hmm my hubby lah really wana go swiss...me shopping freak, but if no shopping boring lah...

thks v much for your advise & the infor u gave, i certainly have to prepare well for my boy....

if you have any more infor feel free k to jot more of it...Many thks
kochmeister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »

Hmm... looks like you don't need too much advice judging from what Edhan has given. I lived in Zürich so I can give you information from a local's point of view.

Yes the weather can be a bit dry. Expect to pay a bit for food. Eating asian can be a very expensive affair. If you are on a budget, head for street stalls and cafeterias in shopping malls. Food's good if you know where to look. Personally I would suggest that you sample the local fare as much as possible.

Try visiting Valais. You must sample Rivella. A local drink. Very Swiss and I quite like it. Buy a bottle for me if you can.. ha ha (I miss that) Wink. Crans-Montana's ok for skiing and it's a nice and quaint town. Lausanne's pretty cool. Nice historical buildings to see and all that. Don't forget Montreux, very serene and home to the Jazz festival. Neuchatel's fantasic at that time of the year. Lugano's italian speaking.

Remember that Christmas is around the corner. Shops close for the season. So shopping may be tricky unless you plan to leave before Xmas.

I can't really give you a tourist's point of view unfortunately but if you do need to meet up for some Q&A, I'd be more than happy to provide your family some pointers and tell you a bit about local behaviour Wink Just PM me.
edhan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »

Zürich a nice place.  Too bad time do not permit the last time I was there....
Food are really expensive.  I think hotdog the cheapest  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: