Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 24, 2024, 08:37:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: school bag  (Read 6819 times)
coffeelover

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:13:09 AM »

hello parents of primary school going children, i need to buy a school bag for my
p1 child next year. Any good suggestions?

Hi pplchl, my boy's in P2 this year. Being over-enthu about primary school, we started out last year with a fanciful bag bearing his favourite cartoon character. But as it turned out.........it didn't last very long and the bag soon sagged under the weight of all his books.

Although we followed the timetable religiously when packing his bag, he still needed all his major subjects' textbooks & exercise books everyday. Despite being given lockers at school, I realised that at aged 7, my boy was still unable to discern between which books to keep in the lockers and which to bring home for homework / revision. To lighten his bag, he ended up leaving all his textbooks at his school locker! That was when I told him to bring everything back & forth everyday and that was also how the 'fanciful' school bag sagged, causing his shoulders to slump as well.

We then bought him an ergonomically designed school bag which cost a hefty $129.00 from LEGO from Takashimaya. Very heart-pain, but what to do? It's your precious little one.....He now walks more steadily (he has to climb a lot of stairs to reach the main school compound and then to his classroom) and doesn't complain of shoulder ache anymore. The design is rather nice and neat-looking. It has lasted 2 years as he's almost finishing the end of his P2 now. So, quite worth it lah....if you do the math.

I have seen other brands which claim to work just as well. It depends on your design and brand preference. Another pretty reputable store is at Centrepoint, next to the Teochew Restaurant on level 4 (I think). If yours is a girl, I have seen very nice Barbie doll designs too Tongue

Just my sharing...

Advertisement

Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »

it depends on the character of yr child. If the child doesn't know how to treasure things, guess buying such $129 for a school bag? The bag will be thrown on the floor, classmates kick here and there. Have to stick to the same bag for at least 2-3 years. Seeing all classmates change new bags at the beginning of the year, will get jealous.

Those roller bags are nice to look at, but not practical. Going up the staircase is very heavy......

Those fancy bags, cheap, definitely doesn't last long, but at least can change with new design every 1/2 - 1 year.

If your concern on postures problems, but the child doesn't carry whole day. After sending to the school gate (parents will take the bag right?), carry the bag, walk to the hall, put on the floor. Finished National Anthem, carry the bag, walk to the classroom, and that's it on the floor all the time till going home.
Hanne

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:03:35 PM »

Hi Coffeelover,

$129 is really a hefty price to pay for a kiddy school bag! My handbag doesn't even cost that much. Heh heh heh..........But I believe in the wisdom of that coz my nephew owns one and his posture has improved. He used to slouch a lot, especially since he went to P3 and takes additional subject, Science.

Wah, it's quite unbelievable what he has to bring to school! Textbooks, workbooks, exercise books, Science 'investigative journal', 'observation records' & what nots.......His bag would hang low to his backside and he walked like an old man!

Upon his teachers' advice, my sister bought ergonomical bag and he even says that the whole load (bag with books) feels lighter than before! I think it makes use of certain materials and laws of physics to spread the weight evenly. Here's a quote from http://www.ergonomicschoolbags.co.uk/

Rigid Spinal Support that helps children adopt good posture and puts less strain on growing spines
"Maxi Comfort" wide U shaped shoulder straps that relive pressure on back muscles
The waist belt distributes the wait from the lower back onto the hip region

I don't work for SPI brand & don't earn commission from them ah..........just sharing since my nephew's bag is of that particular brand Tongue Children nowadays really have it better than our time but the pressure on them is greater too.
pplchl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:07:41 AM »

hi coffelover & hanne, thanks for the advice. The price of $129 is ok if it can last for 2 - 3 years. i have seen the SPI brand of bags and i found the bag heavy by itself though i dont know the weight of the bag. do u agree ?

I have seen children carry bags similar to SPI design but carry the brand name of
"impact' or 'compact'  , 'Tigermax' etc - of about $80-$90 price range. Any comments on these?

Meetoh primary school also sell school bags to their students, is the bag good? Mee Toh mummies , please advice.

There is a traveller shop in compass point selling a school bag brand EYE i think for $39.90. this bag is light. any comments ?

cheers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: