Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 18, 2024, 09:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mould  (Read 91857 times)
mrswong

Tuition @ 303A Punggol Central

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »

I'm a future Punggol resident, currently living in AMK. I have problems with my current place too!

VERY MOULDY & tonnes of INSECTS (all types!)

Solutions which worked for us:
In the kitchen -> Use 1 cup water, add 2 drops bleach, put into a spray bottle. Spray onto your counter tops, cupboard doors, etc etc. Leave on for 1 minute, wipe off with dry cloth (pls do not use damp cloth). If you are worried about the bleach (although it is in very safe concentrations), you can wipe with damn cloth once, then wipe with dry cloth quickly.

In the toilet -> high humudity due to showering, etc. Keep toilet bowl lids CLOSED AT ALL TIMES when not needed. Minimises evaporation. After showering, wipe up if possible. This is a good habit esp if you have kids or old folks at home. so they won't slip and fall. Get those 'magic mop' and do a quick mop. Or buy a squeegee and push all the water into the drainage system. To attack the moulds, you can use the same bleach solution used in the kitchen (2 drops bleach to 1 cup water). Spray and leave for 3-5 minutes. Gently scrub in between tiles to get rid of stubborn mould. Or if you are lazy, Duck brand is good. put it into a spray bottle, dilute with some water (duck: water is 3:1) spray onto the tiles & in btw, let it soak for a few minutes, gently scrub then rinse off with water. Can use a stronger concentration (20 drops bleach to 1 cup water) once a month for thorough cleaning (pls do not do this if u r pregnant).

On wood furniture -> refering to pure wood (not laminate finishing), if you have untreated wood that is exposed, please vanish it. Untreated wood that is exposed is commonly found at the back or inside of wardrobes and kitchen cabinets, under your furniture (the parts that cannot be seen). Wipe them clean with damp cloth. Blow a hair dryer to completely dry the surface, vanish it (DIY vanishing is quite easy). Once vanish is on, you can wipe all your furniture at least once a week with the bleach solution used in the kitchen.

On other furniture -> simply wipe weekly with the same bleach solution as the kitchen. Spray and wipe dry Smiley

On walls -> depending on the type of paint you use, you can also use bleach solution. try a small spot that is hidden first. spray and wipe dry. I recall latex paint cannot use bleach solution, you can try using dettol instead (but not as effective). RMB TO DO A TEST SPOT FIRST!

On children's toys -> daily basis i just steam them using a steam cleaner, then use dry cloth to wipe. I use the same bleach solution for my son's toys once a week. But, I will wipe with damp cloth, then wipe dry. Once a month, all plastic toys that can be washed will be washed in a big tub of water + dettol. Use toothbrush (get those cheap ones, 5 for $2) to scrub and sun them to dry if possible. Else use hair dryer to blow them dry. For soft toys, they are vacuumed everyday. then washed in hot water + dettol once a month.

For beds/sofas/cushions -> Use a steam cleaner (i got mine free using Smiles points to redeem). Steam every inch of your bed/cushions/sofas. Vacuum immediately after that. When washing covers, use hot water/warm water. Insect eggs will die with heat (yes, they do lay eggs on ur bedsheet at the hidden corners against the wall or headboard!). If you have a dryer, use dryer to dry them. Else, hang up to dry in the sun. If hang indoors (no hot sun), please iron your bedsheets before you use them or keep them.

Flooring -> if your tiles are glossy (finished), please do not use any commercial cleaners (those toilet cleaners) for them. It will spoil the tile. Go buy the cleaners specially for floor tiles (no choice).

Others
-> check your aircon pipes frequently. Any leakage will cause alot of problems like water stains and mould. Keep your aircons well-maintained if you use them frequently (one check up every 3-4 months). on your own, wash the aircon filters once a week. After washing, sun dry if possible. if no sun, wipe dry and blow with hair dryer.
-> get humidifiers (pls get electric ones if you have expensive stuff like piano), if get those disposables, please check them frequently & change them

EFFECTIVE NATURAL BUG REPELLENT:
- Tea tree oil (anti-bacterial also)
- Citronella oil
- Eucalyptus (soothing, helps relief blocked nose also)

You can buy both the above ORGANIC oils from here: iherb.com use YAF688 for $5 off. Their intl shipping to SG is quite cheap.

How to use:
1. Dilute with water in a spray bottle. Spray at hidden corners, etc.
2. Directly put a few drops onto the target spots.
3. Put a few drops on clothing when heading out for outdoor activities.
4. Put a few drops into washing machine when washing bedsheets.
5. Put a few drops onto aircon so whole room will be filled (eucalyptus is good for bedtime, helps you relax and get rid of stuffy nose)
6. Add into bleach solution and use it to clean your house on daily basis.
7. Use a diffuser (either electric or those you need to light the candle)

Seems like i'm typing a manual for pest control.
But I hope the above will help.

If you are currently under attack, you should do a once-and-for-all-clean-everything-now mission. then maintenance after that will be much easier Smiley

Tuition @ 303A Punggol Central:
http://mwtuition.blogspot.com

Advertisement

kool

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »

has anyone tried using steam cleaner to remove mould ?
wondering if it works ,as they show in some promos of steam cleaner ads
ev-disinfection

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2010, 01:01:04 AM »

Well, in Singapore, if you stay below the tree line, (6 floor and below) you should keep the windows closed,
if above the line, it is okay to keep it open.

Before you move into a newly rental or purchased unit / house, you should get a mold guy in to inspect the place first.
I would normally get the place disinfected, before i move in.

Air-conditioning fan coils should be checked for mold infections, take note that "chemical cleaning" by the air con guy is NOT disinfection.
The fan coils are the most conducive place in the home or office where the molds will thrive.

Leaking pipes / plumbing in the false ceilings, should be disinfected, before and after the pipes / false ceiling are changed.

Painting over a moldy spot is a BAD idea, always remember that the protein in paint is a food source for molds, and that molds will remain in a domain stage, and will spring to live, when the conditions are conducive - Damp with moisture / bad ventilation / condensation.

Closing the bathroom room door / open the bathroom ventilation windows after a hot shower, into the bedroom will help stop condensation from happening.

In case there is no way to keep moisture out, get a correct area dehumidifier in that room, KEEP DRY.

Use separate footwear, for your outings, indoor use and balcony / patio use. Do not go barefoot into your patio / outdoor and back into your home. You might be bringing the mold in to your home.

Take note that Bleach / Strong Acid / Radiation will not kill the mold spores, it only takes away the visible layers, while leaving the spores behind. and once the conditions are conducive, the molds will start to re produce again.

Remember that all mold problems can be solved.

My 2 cents, hope it helps...
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: