Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
May 17, 2024, 03:18:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric bike, punggol  (Read 6027 times)
limweech

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1100265/1/.html
Electric bike rental may soon be available at Punggol
By Ng Lian Cheong | Posted: 20 December 2010 2039 hrs

SINGAPORE : Residents of Singapore's first eco-precinct, Treelodge@Punggol, may soon be able to rent electric bicycles within their estate.

Advertisement

tom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:54:16 AM »

Sales engineer at Sanyo, said: "We set the price at 40 cents to encourage residents to change their habits - from taking a feeder bus to riding a bicycle. And this will promote health and prevent congestion to the traffic."

At the moment there is only one feeder bus service,  83 plying from Punggol MRT station / bus terminal to Compass Point.

When Punggol Vista and Treelodge are fully occupied, more feeder bus services will have to be provided. ( not sure if LRT and the bus companies are prepared ). There are at least another three more HDB BTO projects completing soon.

Smiley How can sitting on an electric bicycle promote health ? Riding an ordinary bicycle maybe.....
 Smiley Rent an electric bicycle from Punggol MRT to compass point, park there for 10 hours, catch a train to work,  use it to return home.......cost us twelve solid dollars. ( it's very expensive ).

Probably Sanyo need to recalculate.

Rent the electric bicycles , go round Punggol in the evening maybe is fun.....definately not to replace feeder bus services. chitchat
jo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:42 AM »

With regards to this news, I have feedback to LTA and below is my letter and their reply
I have highlighted some points that are important to us pedestrians too. Hope its helpful.

I WROTE

Hi,

regarding the news as mentioned in the subject, I understand that the project
is pending approval from LTA.  As a  resident of Punggol 21, I have seen and
encountered alot of cyclists and even motorcyclists (near Punggol Plaza) on the
pedestrian walkway who zoom by or "ring" angrily at pedestrians as they cycle
by. With the normal bicycles, they have already posted a big danger to young
children and even normal adults.

I hope that LTA takes into consideration that Punggol is an area with lots of
young families with children. With the addition of the electric bicycles
obviously on our narrow pedestrian walkways (many do flout the rule of not
cycling on pedestrian walkways), that might further endanger the safety of the
pedestrians.

I sincerely hope that LTA considers carefully the cons (safety of the
pedestrians) versus the pros (environmental awareness) before approving of the
project. Or perhaps if approval is given, strict adherence to the rule of
bicycles to share the road with other vehicles be monitored very closely?

LTA REPLY

ELECTRIC BIKE RENTAL MAY SOON BE AVAILABLE AT PUNGGOL
FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20101222-0032

We refer to your email of 21 December 2010.   

We noted your concerns and would like to share with you that the motorised bicycles can only be ridden on the roads. They are not allowed on pedestrian walkways, Housing Development Board (HDB) void decks and public parks. This is in accordance to the regulations laid down by government agencies such as the Singapore Police Force, Housing Development Board and National Parks Board.

Under Section 131 of the Road Traffic Act (RTA), the Traffic Police (TP) can take action against errant cyclists who ride in a reckless or disorderly manner, endangering the lives of pedestrians and other cyclists. Should you encounter such incidents, you may wish to contact the TP to seek their assistance to step up their enforcement against errant cyclists. In cases where the cyclists/ motorcyclists conducts himself in a reckless or disorderly manner, causing danger to pedestrians and other road users, he may also be punished under the Penal Code.

We hope this clarifies and we thank you for writing in.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Tan
 Executive
 Project Communications & Feedback
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: