Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 19, 2024, 01:43:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman died of acute blood coagulation problem after giving birth  (Read 5452 times)
Stallion

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:07:03 PM »

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/287449/1/.html

Woman died of acute blood coagulation problem after giving birth
By Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 11 July 2007 0631 hrs

SINGAPORE : A woman who died after giving birth to twins had succumbed to Disseminated Intra-vascular Coagulopathy (DIVC), an acute blood coagulation problem arising from massive bleeding and transfusion.

In a statement, a Raffles Hospital spokesman said 44-year-old Madam Swee Lay Kuan - who had a twin pregnancy - was admitted on July 5 for bleeding.

This was a result of a low-lying placenta (Placenta Praevia).

While in the ward, she continued to have bleeding.

As there was a continuing threat of premature labour, and in the interests of the twins' safety, Madam Swee was scheduled for Caesarean section on July 7.

During surgery, massive bleeding was encountered and emergency blood transfusion was immediately started.

The hospital obtained further units of blood from the Centre for Transfusion Medicine (CTM).

The spokesman added that as is customary in cases like this, relatives and well-wishers were requested to assist in replenishing of the stocks at CTM.

Madam Swee was given large amounts of blood and blood products while she was in the Intensive Care Unit.

But she developed and subsequently succumbed to DIVC, an acute blood coagulation problem.

The Bloodbank@HSA says blood is provided to all patients at all times, based on clinical needs.

And all bleeding emergencies are given first priority.

Madam Swee's family had suspected that she died because the hospital did not have enough blood in its supply.

According to the family, hospital staff had told them that its blood supply was running low.

Madam Swee's husband, Jason Low said, hospital staff told him that a request for more blood would have to be approved by higher authorities.
And if the family wanted more blood, they would have to round up others to donate some at the blood bank.

So on Sunday morning (8 July), about 200 of their relatives and friends turned up to donate blood at the blood bank.

And the family said, blood was released after that.

But Madam Swee died that night.

Her death certificate states that she died of cardio-respiratory failure, pending an investigation.

Her family is appreciative of the hard work put in by hospital staff but they felt that the process of withdrawing blood was too slow.

In response, the Bloodbank@HSA says all requests for blood and blood products for Madam Swee were fully supported.

And that the supply of blood is not dependant on replacement donation.

Every hospital holds units of emergency blood which can be given to patients immediately during any bleeding emergency.

If there is sudden, unanticipated, massive bleeding emergency, the hospital will send a sample of the patient's blood to the Bloodbank for group and cross matching.

The blood is then issued to the hospital porter immediately after cross matching, which can be processed within 30 minutes. - CNA/de

Advertisement

ya1012

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:33 AM »

This world is full of coincidence, I happened to take the victim's uncle taxi more than a week ago.....

More insight:
Actually she've two daughters aged 17 yrs & 11 yrs already.... oops   This is an "accidental" pregnancy & she initially had no intention of having any more kids. But after check-up & 'discovered" she had twins, she decided to keep the babies as she hoped to "boh" a boy.....  Shocked and who knows this will happen to her?.......

Her uncle "signs" when recalling the incident..... he was one of the blood donors....like what the victim's husband had mentioned, the 200 over relatives "rushed" to donate blood on the 7 jul, but the blood bank was closed & they've to wait till the next morning when the "just follow law" blood bank opened at 8am.    Guess what, only 1 on duty Dr attending to all of them.... so mad rush lah.....

He said calmly that by the time everything was done, his niece had already lost too much blood and died  Cry..... and he just shaked his head on the blood bank reply & the hosp communication issues.....
Ahjannz

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »

Hmm.. I'm her daughter, ( Swee lay kuan ) . The "11 years-old" . I'm now 14. And i'm sorry, i don't recall having any gu gong as taxi driver yeah. And, my mother died on the 9th. Not 8th. At around 8.30PM. So yeah. I don't wanna see any more twist and turns stories yeah. It hurts. -.-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: