Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
March 28, 2024, 10:51:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nursing homes badly in need of dialect speaking nurses and helpers.  (Read 3713 times)
tom

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:08:34 AM »

Dialects spark new bonding.......

In the early 60's records showed Radio and TV stations telecast films and story telling in different dialects. We had Hokkiens, Cantonese, Teochews as prominent dialects. Of course, there are others. Private radio stations are also featuring dialects in their radio broadcast. Eventually it dies a natural death when " Speak Mandarin Campaign were popularised "

The elderly people in their 70's or 80's today, ( uneducated and dialect speaking ) many are in nursing homes and are being looked after by nurses and assistants from Phillippines, Sri Lanka, Rangoon, China and elsewhere who cannot communicate with them. ( What a sorry state of affair....they are sick, bed-ridden, on wheel-chair and even people  who are supposed to nurse them cannot communicate with them ) What went wrong ??  Huh? Roll Eyes Lips Sealed Undecided

How are we going to find people who can speak dialects to work as nurses and assistants to care for them ? Start training our own aunty ? Is it possible ? These are some of the things maybe our authorities overlooked.  Angry Sad  Punggollians who had elders in nursing homes maybe will feel this is a problem which needs to be  addressed.

Advertisement

tom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:49:53 AM »

A day as a volunteer in a home for residents with dementia.

A person with dementia is often disorientated or confused. He will talk about the past as though it is happening today. He would talk about relatives who past away for years as if they were still living. Sees himself as a much younger person. Mistaken his own children as his younger brothers and sisters, wife as a mother. He could start to get angry and be abusive and aggressive for no reason. Ask the same questions hundredths of times repeatedly and making a lot of noise in the middle of the night .

Personal experience with resident Mr. B. Wan ( not his real name ) age :  80.

As soon as I enter the Ward, Mr Wan would come to me, tap my shoulder and whisper quietly into my ear. Each time, he has a different problem.

He whispered, “  I have to go home now because my mother, father, brother and sister lock themselves in the house “. Can you open the door and let me go home to save my family ?

When I told him, “ no problem, wait for a while, after tea-break, you can go home and open the door for your family “. Feeling satisfied,  happily he walks away. After a while, he would still come back and repeat the same problem.  This can go on for  hours till lunch break at 12.00 noon.

Before food is served, he comes along again with a different set of problem. Pull me to a corner and said in broken English, “ I one cent no, can you lend me two dollars ? then in cantonese he said, “ don’t worry, I gentleman, sure to return you the money, OK ?

My answer, ok, don’t worry, you sit at this table facing the food serving station. Residents can eat at this table for free. He smiled happily, but asked, “ are you sure ? “ Before food is served, he will repeat the same question a few more times.

Note : A person suffering from dementia, could not retain memory at all. From my personal experience, it is like memory full in comparision to  the hard-disk in a personal computer system.

tom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:09:43 AM »

Resident 2 Mr. Albert Low ( not his real name ) age 82

It is common for Albert to stand in front of his attached bathroom, meddling with the lock hoping to open the bath room door to have another shower. Told him that he had already taken his bath in the morning, he still insist that he wants another bath, rain or shine, day or night.

At times, he would wake up at 2 am in the middle of the night and try to bathe himself. He seems to forget that he had taken his bath earlier on. Each time he wakes up from sleep, whether it is in the afternoon , or late at night, he thought it is early morning and a bath is necessary.

Once on a bright sunny day, the weather was so hot and humid. He walked up to me and said, “ The sky was very dark and cloudy, it’s going to rain heavily, he had to go to school, to fetch his daughter 12 years of age in primary six “. Ask him what he is worrying about ? His reply was, he doesn’t want his daughter to go out with boys, she’s too young to do so “. He also don’t want her to mix with bad company.

Note : Actually her daughter is almost 50 years old today and a mother of  two grown up children…….

Anyway, to stop him from worrying and repeating the same demand, telling him not to worry and that his daughter had gone home herself satisfies him.

He seems happy and relaxed after that. Within a short span of time, he usually forgets about the whole matter.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: