Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 24, 2024, 06:37:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killer Rojak  (Read 5883 times)
Stallion

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

How come NEA didnt check the area before the outbreak?? Too busy??

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/420588/1/.html

Rojak scare is worst mass food poisoning outbreak since 2007
By Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 06 April 2009 2242 hrs

•  A woman dead, another critically ill after eating Indian Rojak in Geylang Serai

Rojak scare is worst mass food poisoning outbreak since 2007

SINGAPORE: The latest Geylang Serai food poisoning incident is believed to be the worst mass food poisoning outbreak in Singapore since 2007. That year, over 150 people contracted salmonellosis after eating Prima Deli cakes.

Authorities have stepped up investigations, including hygiene checks at the Geylang Serai temporary market on Monday.

The 'Rojak Geylang Serai' stall has been shut since the weekend after more than 110 of its customers fell ill with food poisoning.

On Friday afternoon, Madam Rosiah Samat's husband bought her Rojak from her favourite stall.

She had just found out she was two-months pregnant with her first child by her second husband. She noticed the Rojak smelled unusual, but carried on eating it. Hours later, she was in hospital and was told she had miscarried.

She said: "I am angry. If possible, I don't want to eat Rojak. I was thinking, ‘Why did I have craving for Rojak? Why not other food? Why Rojak?’

"I wanted the pregnancy. That's why I have been going back and forth to the doctor. I know I already have four children. But this is the first one with my (second) husband. But my craving for the Rojak resulted in the miscarriage."

Madam Rosiah said she intends to try again for another baby, but at 39 she is worried that she may be getting too old.

Many of the stall's regulars told Channel NewsAsia they have been eating its Indian Rojak for years and this is the first time such an incident has occurred. But many said it will be some time before they will consider going back again.

One man said: "I will think twice about coming back to this stall again. Anyway we still can get Rojak from other parts of Singapore."

"Last week I ate the Rojak and there was nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong... come back and eat! Don't worry," said one woman.

Authorities said they have conducted checks on other stalls at the food centre, and found standards to be "satisfactory". But the Rojak stall will remain closed for now till investigations are complete. - CNA/vm

Advertisement

tom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:01:59 AM »

Authorities said they have conducted checks on other stalls at the food centre, and found standards to be "satisfactory".

The word SATISFACTORY is no good. Singapore wants TOPS for everything. Why neglected our eating places, contaminated food kills.

Why grade hawker centre stalls, A, B, C, D ? C for cats, D for Dogs ? There should be only TWO ways, either you fail or you pass. Pass carry on with your food business and FAIL, you close shop. That's very simple, Why make it so complicated.

Donkey years ago, we saw rats running around in our kampongs. Today, it is shocking to see them 41 RATS to be exact, the first batch killed in our hawker centre by RAT buster.
What a shock  Shocked

When all is well. Everything is OK. Something goes wrong, people start to point fingers.  Grin NEA said the hawker's committee is in charge.  What to do ?
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »

All along this stall has a C grade. People still buy from them, simply because the rojak is delicious.
Eropagnis

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »

With all those rats running around, breeding, and contaminating the food, they should seriously consider closing down the whole place.
More importantly is NEA should answer to the public and especially the family of the deceaseS how have they conducted SATISFACTORY routine checks and how do they do it? Just eye power or a check list to bench mark against?
The rats don't just appear overnight.

Look what I've found:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: