Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
April 19, 2024, 09:18:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny Smell  (Read 116752 times)
SG Lost Hopes

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »

Beside Pasir Gudang, you guys realize there is another plot of land in Johor close to Singapore (to the east of Changi) that is being developed for a large petro-chemical plant (國光石化聯盟)? This plant (owned by Taiwanese company Kuokuang 國光) was originally planned to be located in Taiwan. But the plan was scrapped after studies revealed the potentially harmful health and environmental impacts on local residents. The company then decided to re-locate the plant in Malaysia and Johor (needless to say) welcomed it with open arms and decided to squeeze its location to Pengerang just a few miles to the east of Tekong. 
Luckily for us, 國光 ditched its plan, citing low economic viability. But Johor was unfazed and has reserved that plot of land in Pengerang for the Pengerang Integrated Petroleum Complex (PIPC), slated to be completed by 2019.

Read these:
http://wildshores.blogspot.sg/2012/05/pollutive-petrochemical-plant-may-be.html#.VtZt1fl94Q9
http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/05/rejected-taiwan-kuokuang-petrochemical.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pengerang
http://www.mprc.gov.my/our-businesses/pengerang-integrated-petroleum-complex-pipc

Well, this means residents in the northeast will be sandwiched between two large petro-chemical complexes in Johor.

Advertisement

intruder

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2016, 02:52:41 AM »

Hi Punggol Residents,

I'm staying at Punngol Place Blk 208.
Last night till now i could smell a very strong & terrible burning smell coming from my svc yard, common & master bedroom toilets windows. Apparently the smell only occur from the places which i have mentioned.. places like my living & bedroom are ok. It doesn't smell like those normal haze smell but it is stronger & terrible than that. I'm thinking if it's my washing machine or dryer spoil or is due to the haze? Anyone experience the same too? Can i call up NEA to check. Please advise.
SG Lost Hopes

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2016, 10:27:11 PM »

Hi Punggol Residents,

I'm staying at Punngol Place Blk 208.
Last night till now i could smell a very strong & terrible burning smell coming from my svc yard, common & master bedroom toilets windows. Apparently the smell only occur from the places which i have mentioned.. places like my living & bedroom are ok. It doesn't smell like those normal haze smell but it is stronger & terrible than that. I'm thinking if it's my washing machine or dryer spoil or is due to the haze? Anyone experience the same too? Can i call up NEA to check. Please advise.

Well, since this smell is directional, you can probably perform a simple test to see if it's really coming from the Johor petrochemical plant.
Use a compass, if your common/master bedroom toilet windows are facing the north or north-east, then most likely the smell comes from Johor.
Yes, this petrochemical smell is obviously (much) more toxic and hazardous than the seasonal haze from Sumatra. It is also less detectable visually since it is very much colourless.
And you really can't do anything about it other than shutting your windows.
intruder

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »

SG Lost Hopes, thks for your reply & suggestion. The strong & terrible smell has since faded off. At least I'm relieve that it is not my washing machine or dryer giving prob. Nevertheless, will heed your advice to shut the windows for now.    smile
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: